Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confused! (Lots of newbie questions here!)

Posted by ossiegoldhill 
Confused! (Lots of newbie questions here!)
January 27, 2014 04:49PM
Hi there!

I'm currently in the stages of researching a RepRap Mendel and am a little confused. If anyone could help answer my questions I would be most grateful, thanks! (I haven't bought anything yet other than the Arduino I already own)

1. I have and Arduino Mega 2560 and am planning to use the RAMPS 1.4 board for control. My question is, what do I need to do to my Arduino or RAMPS to get it to work? Is it just simply plug it in and it works or is there special firmware I need to load onto it? If so, where can I find it?
2. If anyone could point me in the direction of a good and detailed build blog/guide somewhere for a Mendel preferably using a RAMPS I would be grateful
3. Is Google SketchUp suitable for making models to convert to the required file type for a 3D Printer?
4. Where can I get an extruder from (preferably UK please!)
5. Any general tips for building or using a Mendel?

Thanks in advance,

Ossie
Re: Confused! (Lots of newbie questions here!)
January 27, 2014 08:57PM
1) You need firmware most useing Marlin [github.com]
2) pass, but ramps is ramps you need this [reprap.org]
3) Yes, you can get plugins that export to STL format from Google sketchup (may require a particular version of sketchup)
4) take a look at [www.emakershop.com], lots of British flags
5) take your time, hangout on irc://freenode/reprap learn by watching others and asking questions. Building is only the first step. Then you need to calibrate. Then you will be able to print simple stuff and enter the print/recalibrate cycle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login