Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hotend assembly problems

Posted by m 
m
hotend assembly problems
January 24, 2014 07:04PM
hello,

I'm currently trying to assemble a hotend.
I tried to follow this list of instructions:
[wiki.openhardware.co.za]

The resistor does not fit into the head at all. It's way too small.
The inner diameter of the head is about 6.1mm and the outer diameter of the resistor is only 5mm.

How do I fix that? The how-to mentions wrapping with kitchen foil, but wrapping kitchen foil tight enough seems to be difficult if not impossible.

---

I attached a picture of the parts for the hotend (not including the pfte tubing)
What is this small screw for? (the small black one, with an inner hex)
I _guess_ that it holds the tubing in the head.
Could somebody please clarify how this should be assembled or link to a more thorough instruction?

thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 07:06PM by m.
Attachments:
open | download - hotend.jpg (496.6 KB)
Re: hotend assembly problems
January 24, 2014 07:45PM
Use aluminum foil. It's not impossible to wrap it tight enough, I've done it several times. Just be careful not to short circuit the leads.
January 24, 2014 07:55PM
the small hex screw is for the top of the j head, it tightens down the ptfe tube into the hot end, dont over tighten it tho

possible solutions is that they sent you the wrong resistor? i got mine from makerfarm and the resistor i got from them fit just right
January 25, 2014 09:21AM
Hi,

Had the same problem. I purchased a tube of exhaust repair paste (Holts firegum) from a local car parts shop (actual one of may in a chain of franchise stores in NL). The paste is advertised to resist up to 1000 degrees.

Put some paste on the resistor, popped it in. Then turned up the heat, the paste expanded, solidified and glued the whole thing in place.
Worked perfectly, did the same for thermistor.
Afterwards, I scraped the excess hardened paste from the outside of the heaterblock (just to make it look nice)

Downside, the paste costs 10 euro for a whole tube, I needed only 1 drop.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2014 09:27AM by Eric64124.
January 25, 2014 01:05PM
It looks like its from hotends.com. I have got two of them. Maybe a clone though.
The resistors supplied with it are 6mm diam. It is cheaper just to buy the right sized resistor I think.

Screw the brass nozzle all the way into the peek bit, tighten it (without overdoing it), push the ptfe tube all the way down to the bottom, screw the hex screw in and tighten it down. Finally there is a short piece of ptfe tube to fit into the inside of the hex screw, or at least there was on my 1.75mm version. There may not be on a 3mm version.
January 30, 2014 09:53AM
Another solution is replace the resistor for a heater cartridge, it has 6mm of diameter and will fit perfectly
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login