Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a custom and fully-loaded additive manufacturing machine

Posted by PierreYves.Pepin 
Building a custom and fully-loaded additive manufacturing machine
January 17, 2014 09:35AM
Hey guys, I'm new on the forum but I've be reading multiple posts on the forum for a few months now. I've been printing things with my PrintrBot since a while now but I'm still not fully satisfied yet so I've decided to design and build my own. I will keep you guys updated over here for all changes and add-ons on the project itself.

Here are the specs I'd my printer to have :
- Large heated build platform (Probably between 10x10x10'' to 12x12x12'')
- Multiple extruder (at least 2 but if I can manage to arrange everything on Slic3r/KISSlicer I'd like 4 extruders)
- Custom extruder (a redesigned custom extruder : one piece aluminum hot end with cooling fins, new gear system for no more slippery on the filament)
- Precision acme screw with anti backlash nut for Z movement
- LCD with SD card slot
- Integrated power supply
- Possibly a sealed build chamber for less retraction (and less warping)
- All that, with a sleek and finished design (maybe with thermoformed shells with a touch of brushed stainless steel)

Finally, I also wish the printer will cost me a leg and an arm.
Re: Building a custom and fully-loaded additive manufacturing machine
January 17, 2014 01:42PM
Go for it glad to see somebody willing to design and build their own instead of just kits. All though there is nothing wrong with kits but building your own from scratch sometimes people come up with great ideas that otherwise would not be realized. Years ago before kit sales all of reprap was basically building from scratch a lot of ideas that we use today were developed then

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2014 01:42PM by cnc dick.
January 19, 2014 09:33PM
PierreYves.Pepin

Finally, I also wish the printer will cost me a leg and an arm.

Err, you don't mean that do you? smiling smiley

January 24, 2014 12:11AM
Guys, here is an update of my design work so far. I've been building the base part of my printer for many days now but there is more to do. I just wanted to share the progress of the design and have feedback! All the parts are only in rough form for now as I try to link them and place them only in my basepart. I design that way in on same part and extract the parts alone after so all the parts are linked to this same file. If I need to modify something, everything will follow in the assembly then. Anyways, here are the pictures and the specs I've planned so far.

Build volume with this configuration : 10.03'' x 8.11'' x 10.03''
Dual bowden extruders
Custom 1-piece machined hot end
Quick attach extruder with connector so no wire on extruders
Probably 1x 0.2mm and 1x 0.5mm nozzle
All axis are on linear ball bearings
Z axis motion is ballscrew
XY is CoreXY gantry
Acrylic heated bed
Exterior dimension 19.57'' x 15.03'' x 16.12''
Attachments:
open | download - ISO1.jpg (302.1 KB)
open | download - ISO2.jpg (309.8 KB)
open | download - ISO3.jpg (291.1 KB)
January 24, 2014 12:13AM
And I forgot to mention, probably all parts will be machined from 6061-T6 aluminum (except for the ones being laser cutted).
January 29, 2014 09:30PM
Hey guys! Here is a screenshot of the modifications that have been made. My base part and main assembly is roughly done now I have to devellop every component and single part. I will keep you guys updated!
Attachments:
open | download - ISO4.png (586 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login