Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Speed Vs. Nozzle/Filament size. I am going small!

Posted by Nununugent 
Speed Vs. Nozzle/Filament size. I am going small!
January 05, 2014 12:42AM
What I know is .35mm nozzle and 1.75 (1.70-1.80)mm filament. I realize now that this is not a great margin of error on the filiment, and my next roll will be +/- .03 if I can find a good maker(suggestions?). My ultimate goal is to produce the best quality I can, but I don't want to have it take an un-nessessary amount of time. I decided to try to take all of the mystery out of printer speed, so I put all of the speed settings in Slic3er on 10 and put my layer size on .35mm. Not impressed. Just started the next experiment: all settings on 20mm/sec and layer size on .2mm. next step will be 25mm/sec and .1mm. Anyone out there at home at this range and want to give me some pointers?
Re: Speed Vs. Nozzle/Filament size. I am going small!
January 05, 2014 01:11AM
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do regarding speed vs. quality. With an 0.35mm nozzle, your maximum acceptable layer height is 0.28 (80% nozzle diameter) and that's pushing it, and you're going to want to print slow if you want high quality prints. Also, you're going to need narrower trace widths which will further increase print time. If you want the best of both worlds, you'll have to go with dual extrusion and use a larger diameter nozzle for the infill. If you don't care about speed and want good quality with an 0.35 mm nozzle, try a layer height of 0.1 and a width of 0.4 or even 0.35. You can get great quality with that nozzle, but you'll sacrifice quite a bit in speed.
January 05, 2014 01:56AM
i regularly run 0.1mm layers with a 0.25mm nozzle. I get my best surface quality at 10mm/s or slower. My machine has XY ripple that get worse with faster speeds.
January 05, 2014 03:26AM
slicer has an option for doing different layer heights for infill and perimeters. set your perimeter extrusion width at .35mm, set the infill extrusion width as high as your machine will allow. set the layer height to 0.1, then set in the infill settings set it to infill every 3 layers. set the outer perimeter speed slow and the inner perimeters at a regular speed. then set your infill as fast as you printer will manage, any ripples in the infill wont matter. now because you have set the extrusion width so wide you can effectively extrude at a high layer height proportional to the nozzle width, the rule of layer hieght really only applies when you are using the same extrusion width as the width of your nozzle.

these settings will simulate using a small nozzle for perimeters and a large nozzle for infill. except there is more force needed for the infill than if you had a larger nozzle.
January 05, 2014 03:55PM
Have you tried those settings? I'd imagine the sudden change in nozzle pressure going from fast/wide infill to slow/narrow perimeters would cause all kinds of blobbing on the surface.
January 05, 2014 08:16PM
yeah ive used them before. basically the plastic just builds up under the nozzle so its like you are just extruding really fast, but the speed of the head is still slow.
January 05, 2014 08:40PM
Just started to try these ideas and I ran out of filament! Some is on order, hope to try it out soon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login