Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration help

Posted by clydefrog 
Calibration help
January 02, 2014 01:34PM
Hello community,

I´m a proud user of Makerfarm´s Prusa i3 8" - and I´m new to 3D-Printing.

I printed out a few calibration cubes and the were pretty good (for the first print).

But I like precision and I´m not really satisfied yet. How can I be sure, that the vertical lines of a cube are really 90degrees and have no bulges (not single-layer-bulges, but not a smooth,straight wall). Also I have round corners, can I fix this? Aaaand the last problem: The first layers seem to be wider than the following ones, so the whole cube is conical (what was my first problem...).

I hope you understand, what I mean and can help me, making smooth prints.

Prusa i3 8"

Slic3r v. 0.9.9

J-Head 0.4mm nozzle with 1.mm filament (ABS)
Re: Calibration help
January 02, 2014 03:17PM
1) There is no way to print corners that are perfectly square. The tip of your extruder is round.
2) Do you have "skirt" turned on in Slic3r? That will make a bigger first layer.
3) If you are printing a single layer vase, the walls will not be perfectly straight. On a solid cube they should be straight.

A lot depends on how much precision you are trying to come up with. A 0.2 mm head will improve things. A heated enclosure running at about 50C would also be a step forward. You also could be having issues with belts not begin tight enough, rods binding, and / or steppers skipping. It's also possible you are trying to print to fast. Without any pictures or numbers it's a bit tough to guess what level of issue you have.
Re: Calibration help
January 05, 2014 02:07PM
Hello ucle bob,
Thank you for your quick respond.

1) I know, that a perfect edge is not possible, but it has a radius of ~1-2mm and my nozzle diameter is 0.4...
2)I have skirt turned on, but I need it, my extruder delay is about 1 1/2 loops of the skirt and I dont know how to make it otherwise. But why is skirt making the first layer wider?
3)I uploaded images, and I dont think this is normal?

Thank you,

Clydefrog
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_2015.JPG (108.7 KB)
open | download - DSC_2018.JPG (389 KB)
open | download - DSC_2019.JPG (115.9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login