Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jhead or Magma for a First Time Builder

Posted by Marksest 
Jhead or Magma for a First Time Builder
December 24, 2013 11:04PM
Hi! I'm looking at the Maker Farm Prusa i3 8" kit and I was having trouble deciding which nozzle to pick. What are your experiences with the Magma and Jhead? I know Colin recommends a Magma for beginners but I'm curious what your experiences are. Also, does the Maker Farm kit have a way to hold the spool? Do I need one? Thanks!
Re: Jhead or Magma for a First Time Builder
December 26, 2013 03:46AM
I've little experience with other hotends, but from my own experience with the jhead and what i read on the net, go with a jhead. It just simply works out of the box.
December 26, 2013 12:58PM
The Magma hot end as done on the MakerFarm works very well for ABS. It's miles ahead of the J-Head for higher temperature materials. The J-Head is great if you are only going to print PLA. Colin does not recommend the Magma for PLA, but it can be (with major effort) made to work.

The printer does not come with a roll holder. They are a great excuse to print something. In my case they were a great excuse to design something since I had my own ideas about where I wanted the roll to be. (I like it higher up in the air than most people).

Get a roll of ABS filament when you order your printer. All of the settings in the files are optimized for MakerFarm filament. It's a lot easier to start from a "known good" bunch of settings.
December 26, 2013 01:38PM
Im using a Magma hot end with my 8" i3 from Colin with ABS and it prints GREAT.
Its my first printer and I couldnt be happier.
December 26, 2013 05:29PM
The advantage of a Magma is that being all metal, you pretty much can't melt it. A J-Head can melt if you get up into the > 235C range. J-Heads are pretty much the "default" hot end for PLA. They aren't perfect, but they sure beat a Magma for ease of use on PLA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login