Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-Head Fried

Posted by Nununugent 
J-Head Fried
December 16, 2013 10:41PM
So I didn't have any kapton tape to secure my thermistor in place on my brand new J-head, so I did a crappy job rigging it in with some wire(and even dumber than that I put the thermistor in the back, where I can't see it while printing). You already know where this is going. It fell out, the head overheated. It bubbled a bunch around the seam where the brass head goes into the plastic and the brass head started to slide down. I turned off the heat and pushed the head back up to let it cool in place. It is staying in place, and I can even get it to print a bit, but when I go to do a bottom layer with a little bit of speed the extruder motor skips and it won't extrude enough material. I am about to take it apart and look in the J-head to see what I can find. Any idea what to look for or fix, or do you think I just need to shell out for another J-head.
Re: J-Head Fried
December 17, 2013 12:15AM
Id be buying anoher hotend so you don't have further problems and time wasting man..

maybe look at other hotend designs if your in the market for a new one...

I personally love the budashnozzle and the all metal hotends.. but its up to you,

The aluhotend/magma hotend would fit right into ur x carriage no problems, its like a metal version,
If you had the magma and you had the same issue, it would of just melted out of the carriage and not damage the hotend, maybe the thermistor or heater..
December 17, 2013 07:31AM
Except for the Prusa hot end, I believe all of the hot ends share the "interesting" approach to mounting thermistors with Kapton tape. When you get a jam and have to unscrew all the parts, having the therm glued in is a hassle.

I have the Magma, it works fine for me. It's a bit picky about cooling (as in it jams if you don't get the fan just right). The Alu Hotend looks pretty nice. I haven't put it on the machine yet. It has a PTFE liner so you can have a thermal runaway problem. I don't have a Prusa (yet smiling bouncing smiley). They are a bit expensive.
December 17, 2013 01:04PM
So how is the thermistor held in place in the Prusa design?

Yvan

Singularity Machine
December 17, 2013 07:32PM
On the Prusa hot end, I believe he glues the thermistor in place with high temperature cement. It appears to be in there to stay. It won't fall out, but if you break the leads - not easy to repair. I don't have one (yet) so I'm just going by the various unboxing videos that I have seen.
December 18, 2013 11:39AM
Buy another Hot End.

It's not worth wasting money on wasted filament nor the aggravation of attempting to get something that is broken, working.

The supplier I bought my J-Head from supplied me with some 'Exhaust Putty'

It's high temperature cement to bond the sensor and resistor in place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 11:40AM by ShadowRam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login