Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Everything shuts down/restarts while heating bed

Posted by btmeyer810 
Everything shuts down/restarts while heating bed
December 16, 2013 01:05AM
I just put my printer together and have overcome a few obstacles but I am stuck on this one...

I haven't been able to print yet because I am still working out the bugs, right now my problem is the bed starts to heat up but once it get up to about 36 degrees C it shut the whole thing off and restarts. I am using a full lcd smart controller with ramps 1.4.. I've gone into the arduino software and turned the temperatures to ~30 degrees C on the bed because I have PLA which I've found doesn't really need a hot bed, and it once I upload that on the board and try to run it, it still tries to heat up above that and again shuts off around 36. I reran the slicr software on the test cube and now it's not letting me export the g-code onto my sd card.

I need to know who to disable the heat bed, from the software/g-code/slicr/arduino, whatever...
I also eventually want the heat bed to work so any suggestions on how to tackle that problem would be great too

Thank you,

Ben
Re: Everything shuts down/restarts while heating bed
December 16, 2013 06:02PM
There are a number of things that may be happening. Without more information on your setup it's hard to guess which issue might be causing the problem. Some wild guesses:

1) Your power supply is too small / defective / not wired properly
2) Your hot end and heated bed are in the wrong places on the board and your 5A fuse is popping
3) Your heated bed is shorted or defective

Those are the most likely choices ....
December 16, 2013 07:22PM
Thanks for the reply,

I have a 12V 30A PSU, I'm pretty sure that the wires are connected properly due to the fact I measured the voltages before and after I did a preheat before I hooked anything up. Both the hot end and the heat bed are receiving 12ishV once applied. I've soldered the wires to the heat bed and am using some pretty common but heavy duty speaker wires. It starts heating up no problem and evenly across the bed, but after a short time it shuts down, I have no idea what 5A fuse you mentioned.

Just in case...
I have a Arduino mega 2560 running marlin software connected to a ramps 1.4 board. I purchased the whole thing off ebay which included all the electronics including the steppers and bed. I've had the pleasure of replacing the arduino board once already due to some inexperience combined with some smoke and you can fill in the rest. I've put it on a prusa mendel v2 frame and am so close it's driving me crazy...
December 16, 2013 08:29PM
There are two power inputs to the Ramps 1.4 board. One goes through a 5A resettable fuse. The other goes through an 11A resettable fuse. If you try to run a normal heated bed through the 5A fuse, you will trip it out. It will cut in and out as it heats and cools. Normally the hot end (and motors) go through the 5A side. The heated bed is the only thing that goes through the 11A side.

I'd check the power supply with a volt meter when you have a cut out. It could have issues, especially if it's a clone. I'd then check the "hot" side of the heated bed and hot end connectors. I'll bet you find that one of them on longer has +12 V to ground ....
December 17, 2013 02:07PM
I have the heat bed wired to (D10), the hot end to (D09).

I know on the wiring diagram it shows run D08 to the bed and D10 to the hot end but when I turn on the power to either this is the configuration that works. Is it because I am not using D08 for the bed, and if so how do I change the program to run power to D08 for the bed instead of D10?

Other than that I've ensured that all the wires were ran correctly a number of times and am sure that
December 17, 2013 07:26PM
D8 has a dedicated 12V input that connects through an 11A fuse. Everything else runs through a 5A fuse. Your heated bed should pull 10 to 12A. It's not going to work unless you connect it to D8.

The settings for which output is which are in the configuration files for Marlin. You modify them and upload them to the Mega. It would be very unusual for them to be set up for a heated bed on anything other than D8. Do you have your heated bed thermistor plugged into the right input?
December 18, 2013 04:46PM
Ok, looks like I understand the problem, but I can't figure out in the configuration files where to change the output for the bed from D10 to D08. I am running Marlin and understand the changing uploaded process just can't find it. I agree it is unusual, and the thermistors for both the hot end and bed are right because I am getting appropriate readings for both...

I'll keep checking but any help on where to find and change the code would be great, or at least what to look for cuz I have and am not finding it...

Thanks
December 18, 2013 06:08PM
There are number of places that it could be miss defined, a lot depends on what's been changed by accident:

1) All the pins are set up in pins.h
2) The heater pins are worked with by the C code in several places - if you have messed with the C code, simply download a new version.
3) pins.h is for the most part driven by configuration.h
4) some of the settings are in configuration_adv.h

The way it should work:

In Configuration.h:

#define MOTHERBOARD 33 <- switches around all sorts of things, must be correct for your board

#define EXTRUDERS 1 <- should be set to 1 if you only have one extruder

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 99 <- all should be set to zero if un-used or to the correct table if in use
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 98

#define HEATER_0_MINTEMP 5 <- all need to be set properly, same with maxtemp's and PID settings
#define HEATER_1_MINTEMP 5
#define HEATER_2_MINTEMP 5
#define BED_MINTEMP 5

#define MAX_BED_POWER 255 // limits duty cycle to bed; 255=full current <- should be set to 255

In configuration_adv.h: (all should be as shown)

#define CONTROLLERFAN_PIN -1 //Pin used for the fan to cool controller (-1 to disable)

#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_1_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1
#define EXTRUDER_2_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1

//===========================================================================
//============================= Define Defines ============================
//===========================================================================
#if EXTRUDERS > 1 && defined TEMP_SENSOR_1_AS_REDUNDANT
#error "You cannot use TEMP_SENSOR_1_AS_REDUNDANT if EXTRUDERS > 1"
#endif

#if EXTRUDERS > 1 && defined HEATERS_PARALLEL
#error "You cannot use HEATERS_PARALLEL if EXTRUDERS > 1"
#endif

#if TEMP_SENSOR_0 > 0
#define THERMISTORHEATER_0 TEMP_SENSOR_0
#define HEATER_0_USES_THERMISTOR
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_1 > 0
#define THERMISTORHEATER_1 TEMP_SENSOR_1
#define HEATER_1_USES_THERMISTOR
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_2 > 0
#define THERMISTORHEATER_2 TEMP_SENSOR_2
#define HEATER_2_USES_THERMISTOR
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_BED > 0
#define THERMISTORBED TEMP_SENSOR_BED
#define BED_USES_THERMISTOR
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_0 == -1
#define HEATER_0_USES_AD595
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_1 == -1
#define HEATER_1_USES_AD595
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_2 == -1
#define HEATER_2_USES_AD595
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_BED == -1
#define BED_USES_AD595
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_0 == -2
#define HEATER_0_USES_MAX6675
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_0 == 0
#undef HEATER_0_MINTEMP
#undef HEATER_0_MAXTEMP
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_1 == 0
#undef HEATER_1_MINTEMP
#undef HEATER_1_MAXTEMP
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_2 == 0
#undef HEATER_2_MINTEMP
#undef HEATER_2_MAXTEMP
#endif
#if TEMP_SENSOR_BED == 0
#undef BED_MINTEMP
#undef BED_MAXTEMP
#endif

For the pins.h stuff, take a look at a fresh copy of the file. There's no reason it should have been edited.
December 18, 2013 06:52PM
well, I have never touched anything in pins.h and the things you've pointed out in configure.h I've already set to those values. The only other things I've adjusted is the motor step values...I suppose I could try to re-download a fresh copy of marlin and see if that works, otherwise i'm still at a loss...I looked through pins.h and found some things for the bed but I have no idea of knowing if I change those values that I could be making a big mistake...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 06:57PM by btmeyer810.
December 18, 2013 07:47PM
Awesome! that did the trick bed and hot end heat up and measure temp properly, however, I just ran a 20mm test cube with no filament (the first time I've had it attempt an object, and my scaling is WAY off, I'm assuming that has something to do with the steppers needing to be adjusted. Any advice on where and what to adjust? Also, it's moving super fast, all axis and extruder, what should I change for that as well.

I'm gonna try not to screw up some coding this time...
December 18, 2013 09:05PM
What you now have is a clean copy of Marlin. It knows nothing about your printer at all. The information in your old configuration.h for feed and the like should be ok to move over to your new configuration.h. That will get your steppers close. You probably can move the end stop and thremistor information as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2013 09:05PM by uncle_bob.
December 18, 2013 09:52PM
You would think so but I already did move that over and that's what is way off. I am using the smart controller so I think my understanding of how to adjust it is off. If I move the axis with the controller it's not perfect at all but I thought it was close, but once I tried to run the 20 mm test cube, it shot the x and y axis to the far ends super fast, and the extruder was screaming...I'm not clear on what part of the configure.h I am suppose to calibrate for my printer...

I'm running it on a Prusa Mendel V2 if that helps...I'm not by the printer now so I can't tell you what steppers I am using, but they are all the same and like a stated before they came in a electronics kit I purchased on eBay...
December 19, 2013 09:13PM
You need to check out the calibration instructions for your printer. There are thousands of possible settings for all the different printers out there. They are very much *not* all the same. I have yet to find two that actually both set up the same way. You go through configuration.h and set each of the lines to correspond to the physical printer you have. Until that's done, the firmware and the hardware and the software will not work well together. This part of it is not plug and play. You have to dig into it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login