Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

lubrication for bowden, working wonders

Posted by nechaus 
lubrication for bowden, working wonders
December 15, 2013 05:58PM
Yesterday i was getting jams, i was getting all hot and sweaty trying to figure out the cause, looks like it was some junk in the hotend and a combination of the inner liner starting to break down and leaving crap in my hotend, cleaned it out out as best as i could, still was jamming, ended up using the WD40 prob the worst stuff to use but im hardly in the printer room when its printing,
Worked great not one jam,

Cut a hole in the bowden tube and i think now ill use lubrication for my setup.

just wanted to post it here incase other people are forgetting to try use oil, i would not recommend using wd40 tho, it smells rank
Re: lubrication for bowden, working wonders
December 15, 2013 07:05PM
Most of what's in WD40 is kerosene (if you are in the US) or paraffin (if you are in the UK).

I'd put some sort of cleaning mop in front of the tube...
December 15, 2013 07:07PM
Thats a good idea! Ill do that and use that to apply the lube
December 16, 2013 02:15AM
I just read that WD40 is the worst to use, I am now using regular cooking oil
December 16, 2013 11:37AM
It would seem that any such material would tend to weaken the final output? Try a felt polishing wheel for a Dremel tool. PAS the filament through the hole to trap dust...
December 16, 2013 05:57PM
Anything you add to the filament runs the risk of mucking up the end result. Scrubbing the dirt off without adding a lot of this or that is the objective.
December 17, 2013 12:18AM
iv been looking into that, I notice no issues with the print it self, no oil substance on the prints...
my prints are very strong, I use PLA,, ABS, NYLON...

sometimes if I dump a heap of oil in the Bowden tube, I get some brown crap on the print, but its gone by the next layer anyway... it seems to be rare for that to happen..

I use budaschnozzle and its very easy to clean as well, I have multiple nozzles but my fav one is .5 have .4 and .2
Id imagine using anything less than .5 or .4 would jam easy, jams are pretty easy to fix, just need to isolate the issue quickly for a fast resolution

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 12:18AM by nechaus.
December 17, 2013 07:12AM
The "stuff" has to go somewhere. Either it burns, evaporates, or it's incorporated into the part. If it boils in the hot end you get bubbles in the plastic..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 07:13AM by uncle_bob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login