Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prusa i3 GT2 pulley size?

Posted by Zerker 
prusa i3 GT2 pulley size?
December 14, 2013 08:41PM
just wondering if anyone has come up with the optimal number of teeth for the pulleys.
Re: prusa i3 GT2 pulley size?
December 14, 2013 10:48PM
I only use 20 tooth pulleys.

I would like to hear the opinions of others as to what may be better.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
December 15, 2013 05:05AM
Define optimal?

16 and 20 teeth pulleys are common

the difference?

16 tooth gives you 10micron theoretical resolution and 20 tooth gives you 12.5micron (presuming 1.8 steppers and 1/16 micro stepping)
If you can spot 2.5 micron difference.. good for you. Most of us can't.

But as you can see the more teeth the lower the resolution... when does it become an issue? well that depends on what your resolution requirement are.
December 15, 2013 09:00AM
The fewer the teeth the more jitter you get on the belt. Teeth and belts do not match 100% and more teeth lets this average out better. Fewer teeth needs less torque from the motors - do you have small motors? Smaller gears will wear faster, they might only last two lifetimes.

As long as you *know* how many teeth you have, it's pretty much a non issue. The main issues with the belt drives are backlash and stretch. They contribute a lot more to a typical print than any of the gear issues.
December 15, 2013 01:48PM
I use the 20 tooth on the assumption that there is less "jitter" as uncle bob says, but I don't really know how much of this jitter is reduced with a 20 vs 16 tooth pulley.

My take is this style of machines is they are just a big pile of quivering jitter, so the less the better. smiling smiley

Yvan

Singularity Machine
December 15, 2013 06:21PM
ecelent respones guys, I guess I could have been more clear as to what I mean with optimal, perhaps prefered would have been a better choice of words?

I have seen cheap 16 tooth pulleys
cheap belt and pulley combo's for 20 tooth
and then 30 and 40 tooth pulleys

al for about the same price, I was wondering if their was a reason to go for the larger ones.

from the sounds of it the 20 tooth one should be fine, and as a bonus it comes with the belts too.

feel free to weigh in and advise me to get the 30 - 40 tooth ones if it will make a difference, I'm hopig to print printer parts for others, so I know I will need to get soem level of quality out of my printer.

cheers guys
December 15, 2013 06:59PM
20 has the advantage that it's pretty much the standard with GT-2 belts. They are the "ones to get" at the moment.

Make sure that the inner diameter of the pulleys matches the diameter of your stepper motor shafts .... With NEMA 17's that's not a common problem. It can be an issue if you are using something larger.
December 15, 2013 07:32PM
Don't worry about the pulleys, if you use 20 tooth they are just fine in the big scheme of things. After that you will be chasing down other sources of play, like belt tension, caliberating and adjusting everything in the firmware etc.

The biggest steps up in quality I've seen on the half dozen or so machines I've built over the last two and a half years has been firmware upgrades, hot end upgrades(twice) and obvious mechanical slop like belt tension or shaky X and Y axis carriages.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login