Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration width over height

Posted by printer_man58 
Calibration width over height
December 10, 2013 05:47PM
I am calibrating my mendelmax 1.5 and am on the edge width over height, but when i try to print the calibration object it says it takes 11 sec. and doesn't end up doing anything. Also I am not able to find the how to change it in slic3r
Re: Calibration width over height
December 10, 2013 06:09PM
Can you print anything with the printer?

Have you configured the firmware on the printer?

Have you done any configuration in Slic3r?

What hot end nozzle size do you have?

What is your layer height setting?

When you say it ends up not doing anything - does it not move home / not change temperature / not go to the center of the print area?
December 12, 2013 09:54AM
I am able to print with the printer, I congifured the firmware, I have a .35 nozzle, my layer height is .25, and it says in pronterface that it will take 11 sec, but it was on the callibration page
December 12, 2013 12:57PM
Pronterface is only looking at how long it will take to send the file to the printer. It really does not know anything about how long a print will take. It also does not know if the file is a valid print file or not. It simply tries to send it to the printer and wait for responses. If (for example) you have a gcode file from Thingverse that is for a totally different printer, it may hang up and do nothing at all.

Normal workflow:

1) stl file (from a CAD program) goes into Slic3r (drag and drop)
2) you configure Slic3r for your printer
3) you save a gcode version from Slic3r to your disk drive
4) you load the custom gcode into Pronterface (load file button)
5) you connect to the printer with Pronterface and tell it to print

Without Slic3r set up and in the mix, your gcode file is not doing what your printer needs it to do. A random gcode file may work if it's for a similar printer and setup. It also may not work at all....
December 12, 2013 08:47PM
Pronterface actually tries to calculate print times based on distances moved and based on speeds and accelerations; I know because I adopted its algorithm for use in my own host software.

However, if it is coming up with an estimate of 11 seconds, I'd say there's something wrong somewhere in the model. Back in my early printing days, I remember slicing something that the author printed on a machine using inches as his unit of measure. When I sliced it, it was miniscule (I use millimeters) and would have taken only seconds to print had I tried. Are you sure it's not something like this? An easy way to tell is to look at the pronterface screen and see what the image looks like on screen. You should be able to step through it layer by layer. Does it look correct there?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login