Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OLED Display

Posted by OliverP611 
OLED Display
November 26, 2013 06:32AM
Hello,

my school owns a RapMan 3.0 from Bits From Bytes. Now our OLED display is defect. Does anyone of you know where I can get an replacement kit or how I can control the printer otherwise? Bits From Bytes does not produce the display anymore.

Greetings from Germany
Oliver
Re: OLED Display
November 26, 2013 07:32AM
Some of these displays have about the same lifespan as fruit flies. Displays are worse than anything else we put in a product in terms of not being there later this month. If the manufacturer doesn't know where to get a replacement part that's not a good sign. You might consider reminding them about the EU rules conceding long term support for products. Unless there is some sort of exception for 3d printers they should support the box they sold for 5-10 years.
VDX
November 26, 2013 08:56AM
... could be interesting to replace the electronics with a common RepRap type winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 26, 2013 03:30PM
Do you know the specs on the display? (specificly the resolution)
If you do, you should be able to find a replacement online. (adafruit.com has decent prices, though a limited selection)

Don't know what your budget looks like, but Bits and Bytes offers an upgrade kit to the 3.2. It includes a touchscreen.
November 26, 2013 06:01PM
@OliverP611

When you say the display has defective. Do you mean the display or possibly the whole control board that drives the display.

Most of these displays, use off the shelf parts, which you an easily buy on eBay or from major electronics suppliers like Mouser.com (eBay is normally a lot cheaper).

However you need to determine if its the display or the control board that has failed, and if its just the display, you'll need to take the control unit apart and see if you can find the model number and search for it on the web.

If its just the display, you'll also need to see whether its physically possible to remove the display and attach a new one, or whether attempting to do this would risk damaging the control board.
I don't have any specific experience of a RapMan, but I've taken loads of commercial equipment apart and often the display is soldered onto long pins which are either connected to the control board via a socket on the control board or directly soldered on.

The worst case to replace a display is when they use those ultra thin flexible ribbon cables, as although you may be able to detach the cable from the control board, sometimes the connectors are not intended to be opened and closed again (I had this issue with an iPod Nano some time ago, and it proved impossible to attach the new display and I had to chuck the Nano away, despite buying a new display for it)
December 03, 2013 03:55PM
there is a fork for the firmware [www.reprap.org] but looks like usb support is NOT finished.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login