Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis stepper stalling ?

Posted by sciome 
Y axis stepper stalling ?
November 23, 2013 06:54PM
My reprap prusa i2 y axis stepper motor is stalling in the middle of printing, causing my prints to shift a cm in the y direction during printing. It also stalls during zero'ing if the axis against the end stop spring. Basically it has no force, I can stop it by barely touching it.

I'm wondering if it's a power issue? Can steppers go bad?

I have checked the bearing, lubed the shafts, tightened the belt a pinch, checked the belt bearings, checked to make sure it's not slamming into printed layers, and I've been looking online. I'm stuck...

I have a 24volt 15a power supply, but I'm not sure if I can use it to drive a Sanguinololu 1.3a, I think it said 7-30 volts, but every supply I see is 12 volt. I know my converted PC power supply is dropping my voltage to 10v from 12.2v when the heated bed is on.

Please advise.

P.s. Uncle bob thanks for your past help. winking smiley
Re: Y axis stepper stalling ?
November 23, 2013 08:26PM
I wish I could remember all the details of each person's printers. It would make all this easier.....

Your motors should be crazy powerful even when driven with 1/4 the rated current. If you can stop the shafts with your fingers that's a bad sign. If your supply is dropping to 10V that's also not good. If it's dropping right at the supply - probably time for a change.

Your board should be capable of 24V, if you drop the voltage regulator on it. (at least that's what it says). I have no experience with that board so - no idea if they are kidding or not.

Going to 24V with 12V parts is not a real good idea. You would need to switch your heated bed and extruders over to 24V. It's not hard to do, just don't plug the 12V stuff into 24.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login