Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder gets too hot after dropping a bolt (SMH)

Posted by some_biker 
extruder gets too hot after dropping a bolt (SMH)
November 20, 2013 09:04PM
Soooo... some how, i managed to drop a bolt on my arduino for a second and now the temp goes up to 200 when i set it on 185. the printer seems to be printing just fine, but the only difference is the temperature wont cut out when it hits the correct temp. Is there a quick fix for this? the temp does stop... but it just stops too high. I attatched a pic of where the bolt fell (in red). The extruder will hold the temp until the print starts then it jumps to a little over 200 any advise?
Attachments:
open | download - 20131120_171456_1-hires.jpg (116.5 KB)
Re: extruder gets too hot after dropping a bolt (SMH)
November 20, 2013 10:21PM
It landed on one of the stepper drivers so it would have no effect on the temperature of the extruder. I'd look at the gcode and make sure there isn't an M104 commanding the extuder to 200. You might also check the PID tuning since it may just be overshooting the temp in the beginning. Does it show room temperature when it cools down? If so, then it's reading the thermistor properly. Does the heater only come on when you tell it to? If so, then it's able to control the heater properly. If both of those cases are true, then you have a software, firmware, or gcode issue.
November 20, 2013 10:59PM
temp reads fine, so its got to be something in the settings what should M204 be set to?
November 21, 2013 12:59AM
"M104" is the "gcode" command to set the extruder temperature. It looks like this: M104 S210

That means "set extruder temperature to 210C, but don't stop and wait for it". M109 S210 means "set extruder temperature to 210 and wait until it's stabalized at 210C". If you see something like M104 S200 or M109 S200 in your gcode, it's commanding the firmware to change the extruder temp to 200C. If that's the case, you need to look at your slicing software settings. Sometimes people set the first layer temp lower than the rest of the print, so I'd look there. Before doing any of that, try setting a temp of 60C in your host software (i.e. pronterface or repetier), and see if it can maintain that temperature. It might take a few minutes to stabalize, but if it can maintain the temp once it stabalizes then your machine is working as it should. In that case, it's definately a problem with your slicer software settings.
November 21, 2013 09:29AM
Yea it can maintain a temp fine, so i'm sure pretty sure it's something in the software. I'll have to check pronterface to see if there's a way to just set it to the original settings i guess i changed something while calibrating that i shouldnt have.
November 25, 2013 10:07PM
I don't see how the extruder temp is linked to the stepper driver..... but who knows.... Try changing the affected stepper driver and see if that helps...

Jeff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login