Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help Reprap Mendel Prusa Sanguinololu 1.3a

Posted by sciome 
Help Reprap Mendel Prusa Sanguinololu 1.3a
November 18, 2013 08:49AM
Hello,

I picked up a Reprap Mendel Prusa with Sanguinololu version 1.3a. It was already assembled and I didn't get software with it. I found it on Craigslist. I'm trying to figure out how to make it communicate with the computer.

There are sooo many options on boot loaders, firmware, CAD software, CAM software, programs etc.., I'm thoroughly confused.

Do I need to use a boot loader? I was told it working, so I'm assuming it's been boot loaded.
I realize you need to Sanguino library for arduino. I installed it. I can see it in the arduino software as an option. The chip says its a atmega 1284p. How do I know if it's an 8 bit or a 16bit chip?

Now that I have the arduino software with the Sanguino option, what do I do with it? Is there a sketch to load?

What's next? I've got slic3r open, I can't get the reprap software to load (Java error when executing the .bat file)

I realize these are probably noob questions, but I look forward to any help.

p.s. I blame instructables...
Re: Help Reprap Mendel Prusa Sanguinololu 1.3a
November 18, 2013 10:34AM
Here's the normal route on all these printers:

1) Download the source code for the firmware on the Arduino (or clone).
2) Modify the source code to match your printer and it's setup
3) Upload it to the printer with the normal Arduino tools.
4) Run Pronterface (or something similar) to communicate with the printer.
5) Set up Slic3r (or something similar) to match the hardware (electronic and mechanical) on your printer
6) Slice a stl file into a custom gcode file for your printer
7) Load the gcode into Pronterface
8) Tell Pronterface to print. It feeds the gcode to the printer. Printer does the print.

Here's the issue you have: You didn't build or buy the printer originally. There are things like thermistor type and hot end extrusion diameter that you need to know and probably don’t. The thermistor type is (hopefully) in the firmware you have loaded. The hot end information needs to go into Slic3r. There is also a lot of mechanical information that should be in your firmware. Most of that can be worked out from digging into how the printer is assembled.
Simple answer – don’t re-flash the firmware unless you really need to .
November 18, 2013 07:55PM
I'm going to try to use sprinter for the firmware. Github is confusing for a noob (just saying). Thanks for you help Uncle Bob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2013 08:01PM by sciome.
November 18, 2013 08:22PM
My only concern is that you don't blow away valuable information when you re-flash the firmware. More or less - if it's not broke don't fix it. Another way of looking at it - get it working with the existing firmware. Change it later after you have experience running it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login