Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sourcing laser cut Ultimaker

Posted by swicboi 
sourcing laser cut Ultimaker
November 18, 2013 02:26AM
Hi, I am getting ready to do an ultimaker build and have sourced every part but WHERE TO GET THE WOOD LASERCUTs!!

Ive checked several websites several different laser drawings and formats and still CANNOT find anywhere to lasercut the parts for me...I live in St. Louis MO. It seems like that is the easiest and first step for anyone building an ultimaker but NOBODY says in any faq or guide where to get the parts cut. Ive checked hundreds of web pages, guides, and faqs to no avail. Can someone pleasse help me source somewhere to lasercut the parts....as well as a set of drawings that will work with said lasercutter?
Re: sourcing laser cut Ultimaker
November 18, 2013 06:00AM
Maybe look for the nearest fablab ? They usually have a lasercutter.

[wiki.fablab.is]

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 18, 2013 10:41AM
If you Google "laser cutting services" or something similar, there are a lot of hits. Which ever one you pick will have pretty specific information about what they need for drawings to do the cutting. The second part (drawings) is the more difficult. Is the Ultimaker open source? Are the drawings public? I've always gotten the impression that if you want the parts, you buy them from ultimaker.com.
November 20, 2013 03:28PM
Well from what I can gather Ultimaker claims to be completely open source and public but they dont provide the actual files since the also sell completed models and kits...basically people can post plans and drawings and ultimaker just doesnt oppose them doing it. Ive found several versions of the plans with similar drawings but these online laser cutting services are so dam picky....cut lines have to be a certain color and etching lines another and it seems to be different for each company...So ive found several schematics of the drawings but the files never seem do go through for things like that. I was hoping to get my printer built and going before i started learning and using the cad and 3d software but it looks like I may need to get a good hold of it first so I can take the drawings I do have and customize them to order for a particular service.

The reason Im going with ultimaker is because from everything ive read...they seem to be the fasted and highest quality printing along with one of the biggest print beds of any comparable printer on the market.

p.s. for anyone else looking to build one you can find the completed bill of materials, parts list, and build instructions on their wiki page.
November 20, 2013 06:27PM
Well .... I think you would get a bit of debate about the "biggest and best" description.

Personally I'd go with something that was a bit more in the true open source spirit. You really don't know if your downloaded drawings are correct or not if they just came from "some guy" who posted them.
November 22, 2013 01:18AM
Well the mother source of those files was posted on thingaverse with several confirmed builds...So as far as I'm concerned they are as close to acurate as possible...and I have read through the Ultimaker build guide on the ultimaker wiki page...also on that page are pictures of most of the parts as well as pictures of many of the packaged parts as sent out by Ultimaker directly. Yes of course there is a possibility that the list of drawing and spec files for the laser cuts may not be acurate but I have 3 versions from 3 different sources all of which are near identical. And as for my biggest and best comment that wasn't just an opinion I have pulled out of the air. For the price range of lets say $2500 and under the Ultimaker has one of the largest print beds, and fastest, highest quality prints out of anything on the market in its price range...and this is comparing to the:

Reprap Morgan, Makibox, Prusa Mendal, Reprap Wally, Reprap Rostock, and Richrap, just to name a few.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login