Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Orienting the Print

Posted by NewPrintMan 
Orienting the Print
November 17, 2013 02:35AM
Does anybody know how to flip the part to be printed over using Slic3r or any other method, so the topside of my part will be on the bottom against the heatbed? The top of my part will span the largest area, while the bottom of my part only fills the outer 10% of the perimeter.
Re: Orienting the Print
November 17, 2013 07:25AM
There is an option rotate in slic3r

X. Or y or z. 90. Or -90. Degrees. Value from -360. To. 360
November 17, 2013 01:29PM
The only rotation options I see in Slic3r are for rotating the part around the Z axis. There are buttons that will rotate the part by 45 degrees in both counterclockwise and clockwise directions, and an option to enter a custom rotation value anywhere from -360 degrees to +360 degrees, but all of these only rotate the part around the Z-axis. I need to rotate my part around the X or Y axis. Either one will do, as long as I end up with my part being printed upside down. Is there a way to enter instructions in the custom rotation value to cause the X or Y axis to rotate?
November 17, 2013 04:18PM
There are a lot of cad programs and stl viewers that will do the trick in multiple axis. What kind of computer are you running? Pleasant3d is free, does the job, and runs on OS-X on a Mac. It's by no means the best / only / greatest way to do the job.
November 17, 2013 05:25PM
I do this in Repetier all the time. You can move it and rotate it in any direction and expand it. This is all done before slicing.
November 18, 2013 07:21PM
I wrote a script to auto orient them for me. It works for the parts I model. It may not work all the time. [forums.reprap.org]
November 27, 2013 02:39PM
Thanks for the help, but I found the easiest solution was to download Ultimakers latest open source software - Cura 13.11. It is very easy to use, and I no longer have to create an extra file by using Slic3r to upload to Proterface. With Cura, you just load the STL file directly into Cura, then it shows a great 3D view of the part to be printed, then you click on the part, and a bunch of little ICONs show up at the bottom of the screen, which will allow you to orient the part in every way possible. Then, after you set all of your otherprinter settings, you just click on PRINT. When you first run Cura, you can choose custom printer and set up all of the specific characteristics of your printer. It works geat with RAMPS 1.4

Here is the link for the Cura software

[www.ultimaker.com]

Give it a try, I think you'll like it.
November 28, 2013 11:18PM
I tried Cura for a bit, gave up on it and went back to Slic3r
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login