Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendal i3 built, but not moving (Firmware ? Software problem?)

Posted by duckfriedrice 
Mendal i3 built, but not moving (Firmware ? Software problem?)
November 08, 2013 06:19AM
I have finished putting togeter my Prusa Mendal i3, and put marlin on the arduino. iv got a heated bed, and a fan for my ramps 1.4 electronics. and mechanical endstops. I have connected the printer up to pronterface, and cannot get it to move the x,y, z axis only by clicking the home icon.
Nothing showing up on the LCD display too.

Can someone guide me to get it working please.

Thanks

Here is the message shown on the right of proterface,

Connecting...
start
Printer is now online.
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.0
echo: Last Updated: Nov 8 2013 18:29:05 | Author: (none, default config)
Compiled: Nov 8 2013
echo: Free Memory: 3983 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echoconfused smileyteps per unit:
echo: M92 X78.74 Y78.74 Z533.33 E836.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z5.00 E25.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X9000 Y9000 Z100 E10000
echo:Acceleration: S=acceleration, T=retract acceleration
echo: M204 S3000.00 T3000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z0.40 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echotongue sticking out smileyID settings:
echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00
Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
Errortongue sticking out smileyrinter stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
echoconfused smileyD init fail
Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
Attachments:
open | download - 20131108_184456_resized_1.jpg (396.8 KB)
Re: Mendal i3 built, but not moving (Firmware ? Software problem?)
November 08, 2013 08:23AM
As long as you see:

Error:0
: Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !

The printer is not going to do anythig. You need to:

Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)

The most likely problem is a thermistor that is shorted. The thermistor goes to lower resistance as it heats up. If it's shorted it will look like it's at a high temperature. For a test, unplug your thermistors and see if the error goes away after you power cycle the printer. If that fixes it, plug them in one at a time and see which one triggers the error. If that does not fix it, check your Ramps board for wiring errors (like a short on the pc board at the connector).

It could be a configuration error in the firmware. The thermistor needs to be properly identified in the firmware. I'm not sure if you have done this or not. If you have not, you will need to go through configuration.h and make sure that the settings there match your hardware. Things like thermistor inputs, endstop locations, steps per mm and max speeds all need to be set there. After you do all the settings, you upload the "new" firmware to your Mega board. It's a good idea to set the STRING_CONFIG_H_AUTHOR when you do. That way you can be sure you have the right firmware each time you boot.
November 08, 2013 11:14AM
Unfortunately if you simply unplug the thermistor, you will trigger MIN_TEMP and the same thing will happen. This happened to me when I accidentally loaded my dual-extruder firmware onto my single extruder printer. It reported MIN_TEMP on the second extruder and wouldn't do anything. I think perhaps a continuity tester or ohmmeter on the thermistor leads (after unplugging it from you controller board) is the best way to diagnose this.
November 08, 2013 04:00PM
MaxTemp will be triggered if there is a short circuit on your thermistor.

Check your wiring and the termistor to ensure that 2 wires from the thermistor are not shorted together somewhere.
It could also be that your thermistor is broken and is shorting in the Hot End

Re: unplugging
Yes this wont work either.

However if you have a 100k potentiometer and connect this where the termistor is supposed to be connected, you can simulate what the thermistor would do.

Edit. I just noticed that uncle_bob has posted the same info

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 04:04PM by rogerclark.
November 08, 2013 04:32PM
The idea is to see weather you have a shorted therm or a bad board. Once you have that sorted out you will know what you need to fix...
November 08, 2013 10:48PM
Thanks for all the help up there,

I've tried to trace back the thermistor cable, but there isn't any shorted problem.

I've tried to upload some firmware example for the arduino board i.e. Blink and Fade,
and they work fine

I've tried to study the firmware code in the configuration.h, but I'm not a programming wizzard

Am a bit lost right now, I've uploaded the Marlin.pde file here, can someone assist me please.

I'm using arduino mega 2560, ramps 1.4
Attachments:
open | download - Marlin.pde (1.8 KB)
November 09, 2013 10:11AM
I think your configuration.h file would be easier to go through. There's not much in the pre file.

Unfortunately setting up these printers does involve digging into the settings in the configuration files. Unless you buy a kit, there are no standard files to drop in. It's not as hard as it looks at first, you just need to take it one step at a time.
November 09, 2013 08:39PM
@duckfriedrice

Where did you get your Marlin sw from (GitHub ??)

You could try the firmware that my Blomker MendelMax came with. See [www.blomker.com]
(Actually using another version they sent me thats compatible with GT2 pulleys, but its basically the same as their stock firmware on the site)

I have it running on a spare arduino and just have a 100k ohm pot connected instead of a thermistor, and I can drive all the motors up and down using pronterface
November 12, 2013 11:12PM
Hi there

I can finally get back to the printer, been too busy recently.

I've realised that I forgot to short the pins underneath the A4988 Stepper drivers.

The printer can now move ! grinning smiley

I'm figuring out how to get the LCD to work. Its only showing square blocks on the screen, nothing else though......
November 12, 2013 11:16PM
Does your version of Marlin support the type of LCD you have plugged in.

There are various types of LCD, each of which needs to be configured in Marlin
November 12, 2013 11:20PM
I think it is supported, coz its provided from the same supplier.

I've uncommented the reprap_discount_smart_controller command line

where else do I need to modify in the configuration.h file ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login