Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finally - did my first print

Posted by makovai 
Finally - did my first print
October 15, 2013 08:08PM
I Started my build of an I3X about 2 months ago, its been quite a chore but it all is starting to come together.
The only issue I'm having is my Z axis is not calibrated correctly. I stuck an indicator on it and when I move (in pronterface) 1mm it only moves .023" which is just over half what it should move. My part sized right on the money in the X and y axis but it was supposed to be 1/4" thick and its only .11". I'm wondering if my sang!@#$?? main board is set for an 8mm leadscrew where mine are only 5mm.

I also couldn't figure out what the black smears were but then it dawned on me I was using a sharpie to put a mark on the plastic so I could see it being extruded, once I stopped doing that all the smears went away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 08:10PM by makovai.
Attachments:
open | download - printer.jpg (126.2 KB)
Re: Finally - did my first print
October 15, 2013 10:31PM
That issue with the leadscrew still doesn't account for having less than half of the part thickness. Assuming you're talking M8-1.25 vs M5-0.8, that's still 65% of the thickness. You should do the math with the steps / mm if you're unsure.

Anyway, that's a good start: have fun with your printer!
October 16, 2013 01:06AM
Check the distance the Z axis moves after 10 or 20mm - 1mm is too small to be accurate.

October 16, 2013 11:16AM
This Website is really nice but I have to figure out the correct data to try it.
When I get home tonight I am going to focus pretty hard on getting my Z travels figured out. Even if 1mm isnt enough to get an accurate test, its still enough to tell me its definately off.

later that evening:
So I ran a z axis test and over 10mm it goes about .25" which coincidently is the same percentage that a 5mmx.8 to a 8mmx1.25 difference is. 65%

I tried giving it a G92 Z4000 but then I jog it z+ 10mm and it took off in a negative direction and was going to go through the table and on to Australia as far as I could tell.

Flashing the firmware is my only option left.....I'm not looking forward to that, but after I figure it out I'll be that much better with my printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2013 09:26PM by makovai.
October 18, 2013 06:06PM
Is your Z Steps/mm set to 4000 in your firmware?

Click here to login