Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 vs Megatronics V2.0?

Posted by bardiaesm 
Ramps 1.4 vs Megatronics V2.0?
October 02, 2013 09:07AM
Which one is better?
I need a board which I can have up to 2 extruders, heated bed and LCD?
Which one do you guys suggest? which one is easier to use and can give more features for my future projects?
Re: Ramps 1.4 vs Megatronics V2.0?
October 02, 2013 11:47AM
They both can,

I use Ramps and i am very happy with it,

I have heard good things about Megatronics as well, but i would stay with ramps ^^ just due i know it at the moment, and megatronics doesnt have anything i would want at the moment.
October 05, 2013 10:33PM
Ive had both, ramps died due to some electrical issues induced by myself. The mega tronics 2.0 is really good if you want to use a lot of different features including the lcd, it has a built in sd card reader, it can control up to 3 extruders, and it has 5 mosfets for controlling the heated bed, 3 hot ends and a fan, or you can use them to control leds or water cooling. The main thing is the two thermocouples that it can support, a thermocouple is much more accurate because it can respond to the change in temperature much more quickly than a thermistor in a glass bead, also thermocouples have virtually no temperature limit, thermistors top out at around 300c.

Now one problem I had was I stupidly was checking the voltage on the leds with my multimeter and shorted out the fuse on the board, the smaller one. well that fuse is an smd component, and I didnt want to have to wait to get one shipped in, so I just soldered over the connection and put a fuse on the output of the power supply that is easily sourceable and is easy to replace.

now if you want to get an lcd, you need to get one that is meant to work with the mega tronics, my old one from my ramps is not compatible without modifying the connector, which i have not gotten around to yet.

so basically I would recommend the megatronics because it is going to be able to control both extruders and fans you will probably need to cool them.
December 19, 2013 02:17AM
Hi aduy

Where are the fuses on the Megatronics V2.0? I can't get my motors to turn or get power from the 12V pins anymore (they were working.) I have a working heated bed and I measure 12V at both inlet terminals.

Thanks
Roger
December 19, 2013 07:08AM
One clarification:

Thermistors are (ultimately) good to about 0.0001 C, Platnum RTD's are good to about 0.001C. Thermocouples may be good to 0.01C. That all assumes you have very good samples of each. Thermocouples are low level devices, thermistors are high level devices. That makes interfacing thermistors a bit easier. Given the mass and plastic temperatures involved there is no practical advantage to thermocouples on an extruder. The only advantage to having a thermocouple input is with the low end Chinese extruders. Since thermocouples are cheaper, they use thermocouples.

A Ramps is pretty cheap. If you blow it out due to a wiring error, skip lunch for two days and buy a new one. If it does everything you need to do, go with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login