Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building my first 3d printer.

Posted by RemoteFlyer 
Building my first 3d printer.
September 26, 2013 10:37AM
Hi. I received a box of bits yesterday that I ordered from reprappro so I joined the forum. I couldn't believe how many parts there were in that box when I opened it.

I started building it at 7pm last night with some help from my 10 year old son. he gave up and went to bed at half past eight. I probably should have given up and gone to bed at about 10pm ready for work this morning.

I gave up at 3.30am.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 10:38AM by RemoteFlyer.
Re: Building my first 3d printer.
September 26, 2013 10:43AM
I joined yesturday as well.
Built a RepRap a I3X with instruction for a I3 machine.
Lets just say I launched a couple of "f" bombs during my build.

IMO, take it slow and many breaks in between

Welcome
September 26, 2013 10:56AM
Thanks makovai. I wasted the first few hours and built a lot of the frame but had to undo it. I missed the locking washers. this is how far I had got by 3am...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 10:58AM by RemoteFlyer.
Attachments:
open | download - tmp_13802069393811-874318038.jpg (118.3 KB)
September 26, 2013 02:48PM
Hi RemoteFlyer!

I had a whole 10 days of the odd 2am with my Reprappro mendel smiling smiley My eyes stopped working after that! Looking good so far.

I think at this stage I was fretting over how tight the IGUS clips where on the smooth z rods (even after fettling the holes in the x axis parts)

That first ball of spaggethi may seem like a long way away but it get's there in the end.

Cheers,

Rob
September 27, 2013 05:55AM
Hi rob. I don't think I could keep up that pace for 10 days.

last night I built and fitted the first hot end. I was surprised how well designed and made these parts are.
September 27, 2013 07:10AM
Pocketmoon, makovai, and remoteflyer, it sounds like all of you went the route or purchasing a kit. What was your reasoning for not sourcing it yourself?

I ask this having moved well into the process. Yes I am having second/third thoughts about going this route. My justification being that I keep telling myself it is the best way to learn how this works.

I will be curious as to your answers.

Cheers!

Cybermastif
September 27, 2013 07:35AM
Pure Laziness smiling smiley I wanted the experience of a self-build but the instant fix of getting a box full of stuff all in one go. It would have taken me 3x as long to get my first print out if I'd self sourced (I get a bit bogged down when sourcing stuff)

My next printer will be a self-sourced though.

RemoteFlyer - the quality was fine for me but the fan was duff and stopped working mid-print = overheated hot end = massive clog :/ RRP sent me a new fan which didn't work at all. I ended up sourcing a new fan myself. The original extruder kit they supplied didn't work - it fell between the old design and the new and you couldn't make either from the bits in the bag - they sent me a new kit which was fine.

Things I wish I'd spend more time on during construction;

Getting a smooth fit between x-ends, IGUS clips and smooth z rods. Fine going up , stick/judder going down.
Tidy wiring! After 2 months my heated bed wires worked loose from the controller (held with a single cable tie). resulted in a short and melt of the green screw terminal. In the process of replacing the terminal as the board seems ok (phew!)

Rob
September 27, 2013 10:04AM
Cybermastif Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pocketmoon, makovai, and remoteflyer, it sounds
> like all of you went the route or purchasing a
> kit. What was your reasoning for not sourcing it
> yourself?

Same here,
I have been around CNC machines as well as I used to own my own Wire EDM business where I worked on the machines for years. I thought if I built it myself, I would understand how they work and be more successful with the overall project. Building this unit was frustrating but I feel I learned a lot more by making my own mistakes and learning how to correct them.
October 01, 2013 09:26AM
I'm the same as pocketmoon. I wanted to build the printer but wanted it fairly quickly. I have sourced parts for projects before but usually end up wasting time and money on the wrong things. the RRP I bought has been brilliant so far but I did smash the teeth a hotend fan with my pliars so had to source a new one. I have also purchased fan guards. smiling smiley

I went for the rrp because I liked the open frame design and the melzi controllers are tidy. now I have it printing I am looking to build a smaller printer using arduino and Ramps boards. I will be self sourcing and printing this one myself though now I know what a 3d printer consists of.

I also had problems with jamming on the z axis but found that undoing the bottom supports on the z rails and then tightening them where they naturally sat in the bearings helped to stop them binding. also I had to file the grips that held the plastic bearings as they wer compressed far too tightly againts the smooth bar.
October 01, 2013 09:45AM
this is my first complete print. the first print was a pile of noodles the second a set of legs, the third was legs and waist. some more noodles in various colours. etc...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 09:50AM by RemoteFlyer.
Attachments:
open | download - tmp_IMAG0242_11177044859.jpg (342.3 KB)
October 01, 2013 05:46PM
Hi,

Not bad for a print with no support material. Surprised you got it to stick smiling smiley The 'optional fan holder' will help avoid the 'stirred porridge' look of small sections;

[www.reprappro.com]

Cheers

Rob
October 02, 2013 02:54AM
ha. yes. I'm looking at putting a blower on the extruder and that model did need some support material. I went through four sets of legs before realising that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login