Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nylon and printing (Jhead Mk4)

Posted by luigi 
Nylon and printing (Jhead Mk4)
September 25, 2013 01:05PM
Hello RepRappers,

I wanted to ask here if you can print Nylon with a Jhead since the print temprature should be around 190-240c,
As most of you know a Jhead can go to 230c so that should be possible,
But i was thinking that it may fail to print with a Jhead for other reasons as the heat may be transfered faster with Nylon then PLA or ABS.

Also with that i wanted to ask if i need to turn a heatbed on for this plastic?
And if Hairspray does the trick to stick well,

Also if you may know special characteristics from this plastic,

If its stretchy, durable, If its very hard etc.

Thanks for the help guys ^^
I am sure this topic will also help others that would also would want to print Nylon but arent sure about it ^^

Best regards,
Luigi
Re: Nylon and printing (Jhead Mk4)
September 30, 2013 02:27AM
Not sure what nylon you're trying to print, but most nylons need to be at 250C to get good layer adhesion.

Save yourself the trouble and upgrade to an all metal hot end now. I wouldn't print nylon without one. When PEEK degrades it release some nasty stuff into the air.
September 30, 2013 12:37PM
Okay, Just wanted to know ^^
Well i am keeping my Jhead for now for PLA and perhaps for ABS for around 230c MAX (Hoping that would give some good adhesion)

I might get a Prusa nozzle some later when Prusa made some upgrades to it since its still pretty experimental.

Thanks for the help btw ^^

I was just curious also what i could print with my Jhead atm after pla and ABS, Since i was looking for a more flexible plastic
September 30, 2013 01:49PM
I print ABS at 250C with my J-heads, first layer at 255C (measured inside the nozzle). I think I have read Taulman Nylon works fine at lower temperatures than that.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 30, 2013 03:21PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I print ABS at 250C with my J-heads, first layer
> at 255C (measured inside the nozzle). I think I
> have read Taulman Nylon works fine at lower
> temperatures than that.

Realy?

I heard that it the PEEK should soften at around 240c, so that printing above 230 is like on the edge?
I know that the heated part is the Nozzle, but still since it that metal transfers heat that good it shouldnt be alot diffrence?
September 30, 2013 05:57PM
I remember seeing 240C as the limit somewhere too, i forgot where, but i see 260C here.. (the wiki page is certainly low on info)

The peek is at a lower temperature than the thermistor, as it is farther down the gradient, and the material isnt under that much pressure? So if toxicity isnt the issue someone might go for it and hope it is not a screw up smiling smiley
October 01, 2013 06:53AM
I have printed 3mm nylon (cheap trimmer line) using my jhead. 220 °C was hot enough to get a better layer adhesion than I have seen with any other kind of filament.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login