Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X axis moves on the first 3mm of height

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
X axis moves on the first 3mm of height
September 25, 2013 02:00AM
Hi, recently I've got a problem with my x axis and I really don't know how this could be caused.

The problem is this: On the first ~3mm of height my x axis moves constantly to X+ direction but the rest of the print is fine. I attached an image for better explanation, maybe someone can help me. Picture:
Re: X axis moves on the first 3mm of height
September 25, 2013 10:43AM
That's odd. Have you checked that your Z rods are orthogonal and parallel? Usually when they are out of alignment though, you'd see a leaning piece from bottom to top. I can't figure out what's happening on so few layers.
Anonymous User
September 25, 2013 03:49PM
I just checked it - Z rods are orthogonal and parallel.

My heatbed was a little bit loose (it's spring-suspended and a nut was loose). Fixed it, print results are better, but the first 3 layers (about ~1mm of height) are still not in place.

jbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't figure out what's happening on so few layers.

Me too :/

If it were over the whole print it would be easy, but on so few layers? I'm honestly a little stumped.

EDIT: For the record: You were right, the Z rods are not 100% orthogonal. Will fix that tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 04:06PM by Neuromancer.
September 25, 2013 07:43PM
Are there wires and (other flexible) things like that pulling on or pushing against your extruder at low Z axis settings, but not at higher settings? If the extruder jams against something in X enough to tilt the hotend but not enough to cause a skip in your axes you could get that result.

Also you can try printing at different portions of your surface (e.g. at the centre, at a corner) and see if the problem is different.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2013 01:06AM
frontier204 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the extruder jams against something
> in X enough to tilt the hotend but not enough to
> cause a skip in your axes you could get that
> result.

Hm, good point. There's one double-wire that's relatively short but I don't think it's short enough to cause this.

> Also you can try printing at different portions of
> your surface (e.g. at the centre, at a corner) and
> see if the problem is different.

Nice idea, will try that after fixing the Z rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 01:08AM by Neuromancer.
Anonymous User
September 26, 2013 03:31AM
Hm, it's working again.

I just fixed the Z rods so they are both orthogonal and adjusted the length of the x axis a little bit. Then i played with the z offset because it changed during the adjustment of the Z rods and now the prints are like before, without that drift in x direction.

I'm not sure but it seems that the x axis (which is mounted on the z axis) was a little bit „braced“ or „wedged“ (I hope this are the right words for this - I'm sorry english is't my native language)

So, hanks for your help. Even if we don't know what excatly caused the fault, it works now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login