Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Difference between PLA and ABS

Posted by johnleach2000 
Difference between PLA and ABS
September 20, 2013 05:37PM
Is there way to tell the difference between ABS and PLA?
I have received some filament,without an indication as what it is and I am trying to decide if it is PLA or ABS
Regards
Re: Difference between PLA and ABS
September 20, 2013 06:14PM
Chuck a piece of the filament in acetone. If it is ABS it will slowly dissolve. If it is PLA it will be more or less unaffected.
September 20, 2013 08:12PM
Or burn it and carefully whiff it. Dont inhale too much. The one that smells more organic is the PLA.

Also have heard PLA is more shiny, but that doesnt seem true.(or indicative, anyway)
September 20, 2013 09:12PM
If it's at all translucent, it's very likely PLA. There are some translucent ABS filaments out there, but they are generally pretty rare. If it's a solid color, it could be either.
September 21, 2013 12:05AM
I would try to extrude it at 180 C with relatively high feed rate, like 70+ mm/min.

If it does not come out at all, or it comes out but there are some choke ups, irregularity, discontinuation, then it would be most likely ABS.

Also, if the hobbed bolt (if your extruder uses a hobbed bolt) digs into the filament, then it's very much likely ABS - all PLA filaments I've used were pretty hard, that they did not allow the teeth of the hobbed bolt sink in, it rather stopped the extruder gear.

On the other hands, all ABS i've used were pretty soft and easily allowed the hobbed bolt to dig into them.

Well, the very first filament I ever used was ABS (black) and I was actually able to print with it at 180 C successfully to some degree (and that caused me to believe it was PLA until I almost used the entire 1kg spool). So, I don't think this temperature/extrusion test is 100% reliable.
woo
September 21, 2013 02:44AM
i always do a burn test...
September 21, 2013 05:35AM
You could try snapping about 1 inch from the end, if it's ABS, it will become white from the stress of you bending it. If it's PLA, it will snap instead.
September 21, 2013 08:00AM
Put it in hot water (recently boiled). ABS will have no effect, PLA will become like rubber / jelly.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 24, 2013 02:20PM
I don't think the burning test is advisable - ABS releases hydrogen cyanide gas when burnt hot enough, and it's really worth avoiding whiffing that...
September 24, 2013 03:22PM
Ye i would just put it in bioling water and look if it becomes flexible like Nophead said,
most easy and safe way to test it.
September 27, 2013 05:22PM
Thanks guys,,
I think the easiest test is the boiling water, the PLA goes soft and the ABS remains hard, Its simple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login