Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pronterface not connecting to my portabee

Posted by Gemini 
Pronterface not connecting to my portabee
September 11, 2013 07:10PM
Hi, I bought a portabee kit a couple days ago and finally got everything wired and working yesterday. I installed all the updated drivers and did the initial set up part to test if the motors moved on pronterface. It did and my printer is connected through COM4 and I set the baudrate to 250000 like the portabee manual suggested. then I printed out a test print of an alligator which was pretty decent and then I decided to click "disconnect" since I was done for the night. Today, I wanted to try test printing again to calibrate the bed level and everything and I click "connect" it just shows "connecting..." on the box and nothing happens. It will stay like that for hours and I know for sure its on COM4.

I also tried my friends laptop and my brothers pc and still nothing! Whats wrong with it? Can anyone help me?
Re: Pronterface not connecting to my portabee
December 10, 2013 08:54PM
Have you been able to resolve this problem since you posted? I've experienced the same issue and am hoping that you've discovered a solution.

I have so far not been able to connect the Portabee printer to my laptop at all using Pronterface. The Pronterface output window shows "connecting . . . " and never advances. I've let it attempt for hours. I've tried connecting on a PC running Windows 7 32-bit and a Mac running OS10.6.8 32-bit. Both of the computers discovered the device, listed the port, and said the device was working properly. I'm using the compiled version of Pronterface since that was linked to from the Portabee assembly .pdf.

Any recommendations on what to try next or how to troubleshoot from here would be appreciated.
December 11, 2013 12:25AM
Are you also disconnecting the 12vdc?

I have had Pronterface will act the way you are describing too.
This works for me.

Shutting down
1 Shutdown Pronterface
2 Disconnect 12vdc.
3 Disconnect USB
4 Wait for the Red LED to go out

Startup
1 Connect 12vdc.
2 Connect USB
3 Start Pronterface
4 Connect

Varying from start up order, results in Pronterface connection failure for me.
Not waiting for LED to go out will cause connecting problems too.
December 11, 2013 12:05PM
My startup sequence has been the same as you've described. My shutdown sequence has been slightly different. I've been closing Pronterface, removing the USB cable from my PC, then unplugging the 12vdc from the wall outlet.

To confirm, on startup when I plug in the 12vdc, one LED lights up (LED1), then when I plug in the USB cable the other LED lights up (LED2). On shutdown, following your sequence, both LEDs go dark pretty much immediately when I unplug the 12vdc.

Unfortunately following the startup and shutdown sequence described did not allow me to connect.

Additionally, I tried a few different USB cables. The Device Manager always shows a device has been connected, but Pronterface does not successfully connect. Just because it's an area where I haven't seen any documentation, I wonder if the serial port properties I see in Device Manager are incorrect for the Portabee. My settings are as follows:

Bits per second: 9600
Data bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop bits: 1
Flow control: None

If any of this seems suspect let me know. I've played a bit with the Bits per second setting, getting it closer to the 250000 baudrate number mentioned for Pronterface, but without any result.

Any further recommendations would be much appreciated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login