Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Starter kits?

Posted by MotorAssist 
Starter kits?
April 17, 2009 05:39AM
Hi there,
I have been following the RepRap project since I first read about it in New Scientist. Now I want my own! although I am happy to have a go at building a RepStrap first, if need-be.
I am completely confused by the best options.

I read that Ponoko supply laser-cut kits (is that for making a RepRap or a RepStrap?) but cannot see a price or details for it on the Ponoko website, and I am based in the UK, ridiculously close to Nophead, actually!

I know full products are available from BitstoBytes, but that seems too expensive to shell out in one go.

I also know things have been moving quickly. Anyone any firm advice relevant to Spring 2009? eg websites for supplies in the UK/suppliers to the UK, prices etc?

Would love to get cracking on this.
Hazel
Re: Starter kits?
April 17, 2009 05:30PM
Hiya - and welcome to the community :-)

I went for the 'easy' option. I really was a novice to start with, so I built the electronics kit from the RRRF first, and then ordered the mechanics from BfB. Now, BfB only seem to do the full kit (but it might be worth emailing them to see if they have plans to do extruder/mechanics/electronics separately).

The cupcake extruder looks good - I don't know how that compares in price.

A RepStrap is basically a cobbled-together machine from whatever you can buy/beg/borrow/steal, but it works just enough to print the parts for a RepRap. They are often experimental and made to what you've got. If you've got access to a CNC machine, you can put a plastic extruder head on it and print yourself the parts for a RepRap.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Dave R

---
Reprapping blog and other rants: [renoirsrants.blogspot.com]
My Reprap: [sites.google.com]
April 17, 2009 06:12PM
Hiya David, thanks for the encouragement! I am currently sourcing (or trying to source) parts for the McWire cartesian bot - in the UK.
I'm not doing too badly except for the plumbing pipe, which isn't too available here unless you want 8cm diameter in industrial quantities!
I am trying to come up with a way of attaching to copper piping, which won't take screwthreads.
I hope to go ahead and when I do to list all my UK parts suppliers.

If I can solve this problem first.....

Hazel.
April 18, 2009 02:27AM
im in a similar situation (and odly enough by the sounds of it a similar location) to hazel.

i decided i would put together the electronics first and then coble together the cartesian robot with what ever i could get my hands on and asking nicely for someone to print parts out.

what type of pipe was it you were thinking of using? i have a few relatives in various building trades so may be able to beg/borrow/"missplace off site" enough for one or two repraps

simon
April 18, 2009 05:00AM
Hiya both!

You could always add yourself to the RepRap Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117099291054388532447.0004409098b1c5b712553) and see how close you are to each other / anyone else. Local, physical support is really useful, and you might find someone willing to help with parts, etc.

Don't be afraid to experiment a little - it's better to buy a few bits and test things out, even if it doesn't work, they can often be used for other things (I bought a few coupling nuts for m8 studding, and they came in handy for building an extruder!)

Also, see if you can take apart anything for bits - scanners, printers have small stepper motors in, Nichrome wire from old hairdriers or heaters, collect a bin of useful bits 'just in case'

Good luck
Local
April 18, 2009 06:13AM
Hi Simon,
I'll look at putting a marker on the map, for now I'm registering with the forum (and originally posting htis in the wrong place!).

I have sourced acrylic sheets, Al u-shaped bars, Al right angled bars, PTFE for the strips, threaded rods and the u-bracket so far, mostly locally plus eBay UK.
I am still considering the plumbing pipe and may just use copper pipe, or a wood base and what? upright for the cartesian 'bot. I'll have to see if the Cu pipe will support the weight and the screwthreads in its walls.

When you get to this stage, let me know and I'll itemise the shopping list for Manchester! Cost £87 so far (Apr 09)

How much does the electronics part cost?
Nice to meet you!
Hazel.
Re: Starter Kits
April 18, 2009 04:24PM
When I looked a while ago I found a bunch of online sellers in the UK that stock the malleable iron pipe and fittings required for the McWire bot. Prices varied a fair bit but from memory it looked like you could get all the bits for < £40 inc delivery. I have not bought any yet, never enough time, but you lot might find them useful.

Given that everyone seems to find it tough to find parts in the UK, how about when anyone comes across something at a reasonable price they stick it on a UK parts page on the wiki?

Here are the suppliers:

[www.tradinghydraulics.co.uk] also have everything, but even more expensive

[www.metric-fittings.co.uk] (everything but more expensive)

[www.indequip.co.uk] (everything by flanges)

[www.pipefittingsdirect.co.uk]

[www.colglo.co.uk] (no flanges, no nipples)

[www.trssupplies.co.uk] (everything but flanges)

[www.pipesupply.co.uk] (everything but nipples)

I also came across this place that supposedly do laser cutting of acrylic etc, not sure on pricing or details but looks like they will take the files that Zach put up:

[zapcreatives.com]

As for the electronics, I did a quick price compare the other day, and it seems marginally cheaper to buy the kits from MakerBot than to buy just the boards and then buy the parts in the UK. Most of the UK parts suppliers are either much more expensive, or bring in from the US with hefty delivery charges and you still get stung with the VAT.

I picked up a bunch of bipolar NEMA 23 steppers of ebay from Astrosyn at around £8 each - great price, though they do have a d-shaft which might be a pain. Do an ebay search for them, they seem to sell regularly there.

Lee

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2009 04:54PM by Lee Freyberg.
April 19, 2009 08:52AM
so far i have bought the gen 3 electronics kits from makerbot or rrrf will let you know on total cost when i have had everything arive so that i can include vat and all shipping/ customs charges with it.

as for the cartesian robot i was thinking of making a slight modification and using bike chain and cogs rather than belt as i think that would be a simple change to make and possily easier to fix if it breaks.

simon
May 09, 2009 12:20PM
Dear Hazel,

Following your post with interest - I also plan to start with a Reprap. I'm based in France but often travelling to UK for work, so maybe I could use your suppliers as well. I have to check what is available here. Anyway, good luck !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login