Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y axis drift

Posted by rick55 
Y axis drift
June 29, 2013 11:37PM
I'm having problems with the Y axis, and it comes and goes. This image shows one good and one bad. The bad one is off more than 2mm in a 10mm Z height. At the top, the bed is shifted to the plus Y direction.

The gear driving the belt is press-fit, so I drew a mark on the shaft and gear, and it hasn't shifted. I also drew a mark on the gear and the belt at Y-home, and they're still aligned, so I don't think there's anything mechanical.

The motor is slightly warm to the touch. I'd be very surprised if it's overheating: should I increase the current a little? Is there a way to tell whether it's skipping steps due to insufficient current?
Re: Y axis drift
June 30, 2013 12:47AM
You can also have skipping with over current. If your motor is getting hot, you prob got too much current.

[reprap.org]

This is a complex mathmatical mess, but basically just do what the guy in the pic is doing. Should come up 0.4 VDC. You soulnd't need more than that unless you have some non standard motors. The motors need to be on and stopped. Move each axis and the sturder with your host software than then due these measurements once you are sure each motor is hold it's self.
June 30, 2013 06:33AM
The motors don't need to be on when setting VREF. Less chance of damage if you do it before they are even connected.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 30, 2013 09:50AM
I should have said to start that I'm using a gen6 board, which says the current is 0.57 times the reference voltage. That voltage is 1.2, so the current should be 0.684. I'll try turning it down a bit more, see if the carriage still holds with the motor active.
June 30, 2013 10:18PM
See, still learning. Thanks nophead!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login