Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

filament entanglement!!!

Posted by ekaggrat 
filament entanglement!!!
June 27, 2013 10:11PM
Hi,

I have been using my prusa i2 for quite sometime now and mange to get decent prints .. over time i have ironed out most of the issues causing a print faliure .. and now most of the time get decent prints .. but the only problem that i have not been able to solve is the filament entanglement issue... With 3 mm filament it is not a issue but with 1.75 mm filament 30-40% of my prints end up in trash because the filament gets entagled inpite of being on a proper spool .. Is this a issue with other people also? I have tried spools from 2 differnet vendors of two diffrent sizes but the problem keeps occuring .. which prevents me from putting overnight unattended prints sad smiley

any ideas ?? I mount my spool on top of my prusa ....
Re: filament entanglement!!!
June 27, 2013 10:24PM
Get some sticky felt like what one would use to put under a vase on a wood table top, and fashion a piece that applies light pressure to the edge of your spool, just enough to keep it from turning out of control.
June 28, 2013 02:51AM
YES, you need some light resistance to prevent the spool from turning freely.
I now accomplish this by tightening the M8 nuts on the bearings enough that there is a slight turning resistance.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
June 28, 2013 09:17AM
Maxx Mayhem Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Get some sticky felt like what one would use to
> put under a vase on a wood table top, and fashion
> a piece that applies light pressure to the edge of
> your spool, just enough to keep it from turning
> out of control.

That's actually a really good idea.
June 30, 2013 10:03PM
i tried the felt idea and the bolt tightening idea... both failed... next i will be trying a filament puller like the one on the UP printer... hope that works else back to 3mm...sad smiley
July 01, 2013 01:26PM
Another thing you could try is to get a felt polishing wheel for a Dremel tool fix it to a spot beyond your spool and pass the filament through the hole on the middle. You still need to control spool movement, perhaps these things in combo would help.
July 02, 2013 01:34PM
Felt idea is very cool, will try it out this week sometime!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login