Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to print with thinner layers?

Posted by tuficneme 
How to print with thinner layers?
June 25, 2013 03:46PM
Hello,
I'm new to reprap, and have recently made a prusa mendel. I have been printing in .4mm layer height, but I want to get as small as possible. Do I need to buy a better nozzle to get .1 or .2 mm layer height?
Re: How to print with thinner layers?
June 25, 2013 04:22PM
Pretty much all the widely used nozzles can print at .1 and .2 mm layer height. Calibrate the printer well, and go for it. 0.4 mm is quite a big layer height, what is the orifice size of your nozzle? The layer height should be smaller than nozzle orifice.
June 27, 2013 06:28AM
Just do a few prints at different heights. I find my .5 nozzle looks best at .1. I usually print at .3 to keep print time down.
June 27, 2013 06:13PM
Like jkoljo says. Make sure your calibrated well and try. Your E and Z stepps need to be pretty spot on. If you have already done the defacto reprap calibration guide, then give Triffid's a try for fun and extra measure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 06:13PM by appdev007.
July 02, 2013 12:32PM
when your going with low layers, your going to have to get really close to the bed, so be careful as you can damage your nozzle if it drags alot on the glass.

Make sure your not extruding too much plastic, and adjust your extrusion ratio if you are pushing too much plastic, until it looks very neat and tidy.

goodluck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login