Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder go only backware

Posted by Spartatux 
Extruder go only backware
June 21, 2013 08:58AM
Hi,

my extruder go only backware, I know that I can inverse the extruder in the firmware, but the real probleme is that it can go only one way.

I tried two firmware Marlin and Sprinter.
I know that the motor can go both way, because I tried that motor on an other axe.

Any idea?
Re: Extruder go only backware
June 21, 2013 12:05PM
Do you know which model and type of exturder you have?

With the power off to the printer and the filament removed from the exturder can you turn the extruder both ways by hand relatively easy?
June 21, 2013 02:42PM
It's a greg wade extrude, yes I can turn the extruder both ways by hand.
June 21, 2013 11:00PM
I would suggest keeping your extruder unloaded until you figure out the issue with it's motor.

When you go into your host (driver) software and tell it to extrude and then tell it to retract does the motor go one direction on extrude and the opposite direction on retract? (For the purpose of this test, it doesn't matter if it's the wrong way.)
June 22, 2013 12:05AM
It's always go the same way, but I tried the motor on an other axe and then it's going both ways
June 23, 2013 05:40AM
OK, well we know it's not the motor. I think something is going wrong communicating to the direction pin on your stepper driver. I don't know which controller you are using, but I'm going to assume your stepper drivers are socketed and you can switch them around. Switch the stepper driver for the exturder with one for another one. Now see if the axis you moved the exturder driver to now has the same issue.

If the problem moved with the stepper driver, then you know that particular stepper driver is defective. You can stop here and replace the stepper driver.

If the issue stayed with the extuder, then the issue is probably with your controller. I would trouble shoot these points:

Make sure that the solder join that connects to the direction pin on the stepper driver doesn't have a bad solder joint. To fix a bad joint: Disconnect the controller, remove the stepper driver for that socket, heat the joint with a soldering iron, add solder if needed, allow to cool, reconnect, and test again.

If that didn't fix the problem, use a meter to check the connection from the direction pin of the stepper back to the signaling pin on micro controller to make sure the path isn't interrupted in some way.

The bad thing is both of these issues can be conditional, like the controller has to be so hot or so cool before the issue presents.

Some reference documents:

Stepper Driver (There is an alternatives section on this page encase you aren't using pololu.)
Electronics
June 23, 2013 09:28AM
It's probably a driver probleme, but I have a printrboard, so all five driver are SMD.
I know I can add one drive on the expension port, can I just disable the retraction in slac3r?
June 23, 2013 10:25PM
Well, if the thing is going forward then, yes, you could disable retraction in slic3r. However, you might end up with some undesired strings and such on your print.
June 24, 2013 01:07AM
I will do with it, until I buy another driver.

Thanks
June 24, 2013 12:13PM
Even though your drivers are soldered to your board, you could still look the spec up for the dirver and figure out which pin is the direciton pin and check the solder joints at the driver and microcontroller. There could even be some way to remap that fifth unused driver to be the exturder driver. I know it's possible but how is the question and I don't know the answer.
June 24, 2013 04:25PM
I wrote 5 but I only have 4 driver, my bad, I have a printrboard. I know that I can add one driver on the expenstion port 2; [m.instructables.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login