Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DC DC Solid State relay problems

Posted by jonasl 
DC DC Solid State relay problems
June 17, 2013 01:17PM
Hi Everyone

I never really liked the idea of running 250W for my heated bed through my printrboard, so I just got a SSR. DC DC, 40A.
Connected the controlvoltage on the relay to the Heated bed output on the printrboard- tested it without the heated bed connected, and the LED came on when I turned it on in software.
Connected the load between negative on SSR and powersupply. After 10 secs I could smell something was wrong.

I never got to turn on anything in software.

Question: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks alot!

Jonas
Re: DC DC Solid State relay problems
June 17, 2013 04:22PM
If you connected the bed to the positive on the PSU then you should connect the other wire to the positive on the SSR and the negative of the SSR to the PSU ground.

Seems like you wired it backwards.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 17, 2013 09:47PM
Thanks Nophead

Should it matter that I place the load between positive on PSU and positive on SSR instead of between the ground?
The datasheet says you can do both.

Jonas
June 18, 2013 03:09AM
You can do either but the DC SSR must be connected so its positive terminal is more positive than its negative one.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 18, 2013 11:27PM
Which one is your SSR?
June 19, 2013 05:10AM
I returned it as faulty, dont remember the name. Back to using the output directly from the printrboard.

Jonas
June 27, 2013 04:16AM
If the SSR is like these: [www.ebay.com]
it won't work with DC voltage on the output (the high voltage side). Basically it will stay close and will overheat whatever you control. These SSR's only work with AC on the high voltage side
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login