Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large heated bed (300x300mm)

Posted by konwiddak 
Large heated bed (300x300mm)
January 07, 2013 10:35AM
My current printer has a decent 300x300x300 build volume and works great (I'll get the design up at some point) but due to the size I've always used it without a heated bed.

Does anyone have any experience with heat beds this kind of size? I use sanguinolou electronics, would these be able to supply sufficient power or am I going to need to make some external circuitry?

Is there any heat bed out there that I can buy for sensible money? Would a mendel 200x200mm bed with a 300x300mm heat spreader and some insulation get me to the 60 degrees or so needed for Pla?

If not then I will fabricate something along the lines of an aluminium heat spreader with nichrome wire/large resistors affixed, but any tips are very welcome!
Re: Large heated bed (300x300mm)
January 07, 2013 04:08PM
I'll share what I did - might help.

I mounted some power resistors to a 1/8" sheet of aluminum with JB-weld. Wired them in series to an SSR. I'm controlling the SSR with the heated bed output from RAMPS. Pretty straightforward.

Pros:
Easy
Cheap
Heats up fast - 20C to 100C in about 2 minutes. MaxTemp ~ 125C

Cons:
Requires extra parts
HEAVY - limits speed.

If I had to do it again I'd bite the bullet and get these. 35765K514 and 74515A32

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
January 07, 2013 09:04PM
I have an almost identical setup to akhlut. The SSR switches mains current so my power supply isn't as taxed. It draws approximately 300 W. I bolted the power resistors instead of gluing them though.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
January 08, 2013 10:08AM
Ok thanks a bunch, that was along the line of what I was thinking. I hadn't considered running it off the mains, I'd really rather not, but it makes a lot of sense. (I just don't like working with mains,but if I grounded my machine then the risk would be reduced.) Silicone heaters don't seem to be available in the UK for sensible monies. I have also been considering using strip-board to make a heating element. Has anyone tried this?
January 08, 2013 08:55PM
konwiddak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have
> also been considering using strip-board to make a
> heating element. Has anyone tried this?

See: [www.thingiverse.com]

January 10, 2013 06:40PM
You might also try to contact the trinitylabs guys. They are making a 300x300 printer, so maybe you can talk them into selling you a heated bed? winking smiley
January 11, 2013 03:38AM
Their machine looks remarkably similar to mine, when did their spies get into my house!
January 11, 2013 06:34AM
The aluminatus looks beautiful...

But check the link. Kapton heaters.
[www.omega.com]

- akhlut

Just remember - Iterate, Iterate, Iterate!

[myhomelessmind.blogspot.com]
January 11, 2013 10:27AM
Those Kapton heaters look like a great solution, must be super lightweight! But they are $95 plus however much shipping to the UK :'(

I have decided that I'm going to try using stripboard, I would love a Kapton or silicon heater but I find myself unable to justify the cost. I'm not certain that stripboard will work fantastically but it's going to be fun to try!

To be honest I don't really care what objects my printer makes, I'm just enjoying the journey of making the quality and speed higher and higher. Stripboard seems like a good bodging challenge because I'm running out of other things to improve!
I do have large kapton heaters in 290mm x 290mm size in 24V in two power sizes. One of them I already have in stock is 200W 24V and the real deal version that shos up monday according to fedex is 24V 400W sized.

We use these heaters with a 0.8mm thin aluminum heat spreader that we stick the kaptron heater to the bottom of then we put a 300mm x 300mm borosilicate glass plate on top of the heat spreader and clamp together the 3 layer sandwhich.

We learned early on *DO NOT STICK THE KAPTON HEATER DIRECTLY TO YOUR GLASS*. The current that flows through the heater element is strong enough and the coefficient of thermal expansion difference between the copper heating element in the kapton and the borosilicate plate is enough that when current flows the heater will actually cause the glass to go slightly concave and then back to flat as the current is turned off or lowers.

This caused very hard to diagnoze banding issues on prints for a while that appeared to be Z wobble but were in fact artifacts of the kapton heating element current getting turned on and off and flexing the glass enoughto show up in the prints.

The answer is to stick the kapton to a thin aluminum heat spreader and put the glass on top of that, this way of the current flows and tries to flex the aluminum, the glass will be unaffected since it is not directly stuck to the kapton heater element plane that is flexing.

Hard lesson learned that one.

Anyway I will put these heaters up in the store early next week when they are in stock and unlike other places that sell these kapton heater elements I do not try to rape folks on the price. The 290mm x 290mm 24V 200W version is $30 and the 290mm x 290mm 24v 400W version is $35.

We also have the best prices on borosilicate print surfaces in the most sizes as well. 300mm x 300mm 3mm thick with ground edges are $30 and 320mm x 320mm 3mm thick with ground edges are $32.50

I won't link to my store in this forum out of respect but my email address is ez@trinitylabs.com if you have any questions and I am sure you can find the store if you look hard enough at my email address tongue sticking out smiley

Another little piece of advice here though. We ordered the 290 x 290 200W kapton heaters for our 300 x 300 print bed and they are not powerfull enough for ABS, they can only get the bed up to about 82C with a 24v 17amp 400W PSU.

So the Aluminatus printer is shipping with *2* PSU's. One of them is a 24V 400W 17amp PSU that only gets used for the 400W heat bed and the other is a 24V 250W 10AMP PSU that runs the steppers and all other electronics. So trying to get a 300 x 300 heated bed crosses some limits in power and size that will make you think hard about how to power the heated bed and still power the resat of your system.

24V PSU.larger then 400W 17amp seem to skyrocket in cost from well under $40 to well above $200-$300 and more. So you may end up with 2 PSU's if you want ot have a fast high performance 300 x 300 heated bed. With the 400W heater and a 24V 400W PSU all dedicated to it we can get this 300 x 300 bed up to temp in 2 minutes or so to 110C easily and with the 200W version I had a hard time getting above 85C or so.

Just my 2cents after messing with large heated beds for a long time here.

Cheers-
-Ezra
January 20, 2013 05:15PM
Thanks smiling smiley I have actually successfully built my stripboard based bed now. Only cost £10 for all the materials. It is able to sustain 70C which is more than enough for Pla, but if I wanted to use abs I would need to investigate a solution along the lines of what you guys have suggested smiling smiley
November 19, 2013 02:31PM
Hi everyone. I recently finished my own version of a 300mm x 300mm print bed for a LulzBot Taz.
Here is a video if anyone needs help making one: http://youtu.be/QDAfVrwDVp4
Or the thingiverse page: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:54040
November 19, 2013 04:47PM
I use [store.qu-bd.com] with a 24volt 480 Watt psu that runs everything. I haven't had any power problems, heated bed gets to over 120C (I haven't tried any higher) and does it pretty quickly. I also use cork board as an insulator underneath the silicone pad.
November 19, 2013 04:54PM
Rather than reserecting a year ago thread - why not start a new one? That way people know what's going on ....
November 19, 2013 06:38PM
uncle_bob
Rather than reserecting a year ago thread - why not start a new one? That way people know what's going on ....

I thought it would be better to post my information here as opposed to referencing this thread from a new thread. I think it actually gives the reader a better idea of "what's going on" because it instantly situates them in this permanently relevant narrative (low cost, effective heated beds) and invites them to add information regardless of when they find it, thus expediting the accumulation of pertinent information.
November 22, 2013 11:41PM
I don't mind when old topics are resurected with good on topic info. I just copy pasted Erza's old post into my spec file for my oversized machine, and then looked at CB's thingiverse file.

I purchased one of those 12 x 12 inch 400 watt kapton heaters from Trinity BTW.

Yvan

Singularity Machine
November 27, 2013 09:42AM
Hello, How are you wiring them? Directly to the PSU or through RAMPS?
November 27, 2013 10:59AM
The 400W heater pulls ~17 A at 24V. You can not wire that through Ramps or control it directly with Ramps. It needs it's own little wiring empire. The fuses on the 11A Ramps connector are only rated for 16V operation and the connectors are maybe good to 12 or 13 amps. An external relay driven off a Ramps output is the way to do it.
December 01, 2013 10:40PM
I put some finishing touches on and tested out my heated bed in the printer and found that it would get to 60C in under ten minutes and it would get to a maximum of 108C in over 20 minutes. I think this might be enough for ABS but I will have to see. I read that ~80-110 is the range for ABS.
I'm on a 12V line coming out of a RAMBo. If I wanted faster heating times then I could use a step down transformer and a solid state relay, as uncle bob mentioned, and end up with higher possible temps as well.

Oh, and I found an open source SSR which might save you some money since the SSR's i've come across that can switch ~20A AC with a 12v signal are at least $20...
December 02, 2013 12:26AM
cabbage_breath
Oh, and I found an open source SSR which might save you some money since the SSR's i've come across that can switch ~20A AC with a 12v signal are at least $20...

[www.ebay.com]
or
[www.amazon.com]
or
[www.amazon.com]

That open source SSR is neat, though looks like overkill.

December 03, 2013 01:03PM
You very much want a heated bed that will get to 120 to 125C without waiting >20 minutes. If it has trouble with that just sitting there, it will have trouble holding temperature when there are drafts or when everything is in motion.

Just get a commercial SSR for line voltage. They are pretty small and cheap. They also are pretty well insulated / isolated. Safety first ….
December 04, 2013 07:57PM
Yes think I will experiment with that down the line. Since the resistance of my bed is 1 ohm, however, I think it will be necessary to get a variac or wire my own transformer so that I can step mains down to a maximum of say 20Vrms. Or I could rewire my bed to give a maximum of 16 ohms. This will mean mains will provide ~900W of power which is larger by about a factor of 2 than what I want to use.

I can put this off for a bit because I do not plan to print ABS with this machine in the near future.
December 05, 2013 12:57PM
The 10 to 15 minute heat time is a pretty good number to use for your max running bed temperature. If you are at 60C that may be a bit low even for PLA.
September 23, 2014 01:49PM
just ordered this silicone heater [www.aliexpress.com]
has anyone tried this one?
September 25, 2014 09:59PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and 3D printing. I have a silly question... If I use a 1.5mm steel plate covered with tempered glass ontop it, can I use induction to heat it? I mean, I know I can heat it and it gets from 20-100℃ in just a few sec and stays there quite nicely due to thermistor on plate. My worries are will it affect something else in there but printer is made of aluminium and it doesent react to induction as neither does coper wires... Motors are far away to be affected by it. Oh and it is 2.2kW induction plate that can be regulated by 10℃ steps from 60-240℃... I salvaged it from devastaded kitchen. And the size of "heating elemet" is 20cm diameter. Any thoughts?
September 26, 2014 02:59AM
It sounds good to me, but I can see a couple of potential issues:

1. The steel plate may not conduct heat well enough to give a uniform bed temperature. I suggest you use an aluminium heat spreader plate between the steel and the glass.

2. The induction heater may induce current in the wiring, in particular the thermistor wiring. You may need to use twisted pair or shielded cable.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 02, 2014 05:01PM
Will test and report back results. Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login