Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My ABS won't dissolve into Acetone?

Posted by Phizinza 
Re: My ABS won't dissolve into Acetone? - PVC i think
October 20, 2014 12:35AM
I ended up using glue stick glue, works well. I wet it while I apply until I can see a visible layer of the glue. I wet it so it doesn't leave a texture. Not perfect, but I don't expect much out of my old machine or DIY 3D printing in general.
Re: My ABS won't dissolve into Acetone?
October 31, 2014 07:40AM
I'm having the same problem. I bought a black and a white roll of ABS off ebay (replicatorwarehouse.com). I made ABS juice out of scraps of white ABS without much fuss a year ago and used it with great success on matted glass. Now I found my vial dried out. I topped it up with acetone and threw some more bits of plastic in, but now I only get clear liquid and a ball of bubble gum. Also, the filament has become more brittle than it was. I was assuming my acetone has soaked up moisture from the air, tried some from another bottle, to no avail.

To summarize, acetone from the same bottle and plastic from the same roll used to mix into an opaque liquid a year ago, but it does not do it now. I'm guessing the plastic has undergone further polymerisation or something like that.

I have an idea: I'll try polystyrene foam.
October 31, 2014 07:54AM
Nope, EPS does not want to dissolve either. Maybe it's the acetone after all? But it does dissolve the ABS residue on the glass and smear it around.
November 05, 2014 11:04AM
hahaha it`s not a ABS its a PLA with a wrong label
this post describes my process for validation for whats ABS whats PLA
also some time ago i ordered some filaments from china(over 20 kg brand: Flythinking) and they have send the wrong colors wrong plastic kinds some rolls ware PLA on the box with ABS being actually on the roll
and how lucky i was that they have sent only one roll with wrong diameter but in the right color smiling smiley
of course after i got the plastic the communication with them stopped.
So you can never know what sort of plastic you are actually getting.
and these are typical problems with anything from china as they just don`t get it that it was first and the last time that I and ppl around me bought anything from them
all hope for better quality is lost.

this experience forced me to get a filament extruder (ETA december) and start making the filament myself (High hopes on that)
November 06, 2014 11:43AM
Faktuu
hahaha it`s not a ABS its a PLA with a wrong label
this post describes my process for validation for whats ABS whats PLA

But I dissolved plastic in actone from the same roll a while ago! Can it turn from ABS to PLA in the same filament?

Plus, when printed, it smells like ABS and definitely not like PLA. Plus, its softer/more flexible like ABS, not glassy like PLA.

I tried a fresh piece of ABS filament from a friend and a fresh bottle of acetone. It did not work. Then I added a dash of nitro paint thinner to the jar and quite quickly the liquid started to go muddy from dissolving ABS.
November 06, 2014 12:54PM
I have given up on black ABS. One spool I have got stunk out the living room. God knows what was in it, full of all sorts of recyled junk and dyed black.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login