Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

lcd and smart controller not working

Posted by cwalker1960 
lcd and smart controller not working
December 15, 2012 09:54AM
I bought the complete electronics package from reprapdiscount. It has the arduino mega board, ramps 1.4, 5 stepper drivers, and smart controller with lcd screen.
I haven't completed my reprap yet but I have attached all the motors to the drivers, limit switches, thermisters for hot end and bed.
Loaded marlin and set all configurations, commented all lines as suggested on reprapdiscounts wiki. In pronterface , I can make all the motors move, limit switches stop the motors when activated, hot end works and temp is right in line with out put from proterface..
Cannot get the lcd screen and smart controller to work.
lcd screen only shows first and third line and is unreadable garble.
i contacted reprapdiscount , which immediatly sent me a new lcd and smart controler,, same problem.
I have checked all the pins on aux 3 and 4 on the ramps board with an ohmeter and all seem to be right.
Since I feel it is unlikely that I have 2 bad lcd controllers I figure I must be missing something in marlin configuration.
Really would appreciate some help with this.
Thanks
Re: lcd and smart controller not working
December 16, 2012 11:59AM
I have one, you need to make the changes list on this page.
December 17, 2012 03:12PM
foshon,
Do you bother reading before you write??
I said I set all the configurations according to his wiki page,, and it still didn't work..
well no thanks to anyone on this site I figured out how to check things out for myself and what I found was pin 25 on the ramps board was shorted to ground.. Not something that I missed in configuration and not something that most people just wanting to build a 3d printer and not learn anymore about electronics than needed for the task would have involved themselves in.

{{Loaded marlin and set all configurations, commented all lines as suggested on reprapdiscounts wiki.In pronterface , I can make all the motors move, limit switches stop the motors when activated, hot end works and temp is right in line with out put from proterface.}}
December 18, 2012 07:49PM
Check pin 25 make sure it's not grounded out. 8)
Hi,

I had the same problem yesterday, see my build blog [www.eventorbot.com]

Because I didn t find this post yesterday (happy about it), otherwise I would have done what you did...and I am not good at electronics...you see what I mean...?

My issue was related to marlin version rc3. Changed it to v1 and configured without knowing reprapdiscounts wiki, it worked just fine.

I don t know, why my google search didn t leads me directly to reprapdiscounts wiki. I lost a lot of time figuring out, what could be the problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login