Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jhead conversion from 3mm to 1.75

Posted by jonasl 
Jhead conversion from 3mm to 1.75
October 14, 2012 10:35AM
Anyone knows how to convert a Jhead, latest version from 3mm fillament to 1.75mm.

I read on the Wiki, but dont really understand it, and besides I am more looking for a place to get the parts, without having to replace the whole hotend.

Cheers,

Jonas
Re: Jhead conversion from 3mm to 1.75
October 14, 2012 01:54PM
Unscrew the brass piece from the black plastic piece and replace the plastic tube inside for a smaller one.

The inner plastic tube is made up of PTFE or PEEK and can be purchased at most online reprap stores.

Try Makerfarm or hotends.com or ultimaker or anywhere.

-Tom
October 15, 2012 12:43AM
The inner tube is made of PTFE. You need a piece of PTFE tube that is 0.25 inch (6.35 mm) outer diameter, and approximately 0.08 inch (2 mm) inside diameter.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
October 15, 2012 10:25AM
Like the others have said you just need to replace the PTFE liner with one that has a smaller ID. If you have trouble finding a tube with the above mentioned dimensions another option is to purchase .25 OD PFTE rod (McMaster 8546K11) Then just drill it out to the proper size. I use this method for my j-head style hot end. Also PFTE rod is cheap (2.33 USD per foot)
October 18, 2012 08:21AM
Just for arguments sake, couldnt he also use PEEK or even metal tubing? I was under the impression that some people do this for printing at high temps with PC as PTFE will melt at extreme temps.

-Tom
October 18, 2012 09:12AM
Sniper4395

PEEK has a lower temp them PTFE, and is not as "slippery" as PTFE. PEEK is used as the main housing just for its strength compared to making a whole housing out of PTFE. This is why the PEEK NEEDS to be cooled if printing in ABS.

Metal can be used but it also is not as slippery as PTFE, and if you drilled the ID out yourself could have some small burrs or drill marks that will catch soft ABS or PLA.

You are right Metal is used for printing at higher temps, but a J-head is not a hot end designed for such high temps. Even if you swapped out the PTFE with a metal tube the high heat would transfer up into the PEEK and melt it.
November 12, 2013 04:14AM
doesnt the nozzle also need to be replaced? for one that is properly machined? or could someone simply insert a 2mm ID 3mm OD PTFE Tubing and a washer with about 0.25" OD 2mm ID after the set screw to keep the whole thing together?
November 12, 2013 08:22PM
>This is why the PEEK NEEDS to be cooled if printing in ABS.

The PEEK does not need active cooling when printing ABS.
November 12, 2013 09:16PM
There is no such thing as a single "ABS filament". What one outfit sells works at 215 degrees, what another outfit sells only works at 235C (same setup for both, printing same object, sliced the same way, same speeds, same / same / same). If you run into an ABS that needs a true > 230C, you will need active cooling on your J-Head. The PEEK is only rated to 235. Depending on the batch it'll soften / melt somewhere between 237 and 247C.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login