Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slic3r slicing issues -- Anyone else? eye rolling smiley

Posted by 55rebel 
Slic3r slicing issues -- Anyone else? eye rolling smiley
May 03, 2015 12:31PM
It would seem that Slic3r is a bit retarded, when it comes to support material...

And...

Anyone know of another slicer/program that does not suffer from these issues? Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 12:44PM by 55rebel.
Re: Slic3r slicing issues -- Anyone else? eye rolling smiley
May 03, 2015 12:36PM
55rebel
It would seem that Slic3r is a bit retarded, when it comes to support material...

[attachment 54016 Support_WTF.jpg]

Anyone know of another slicer/program that does not suffer from these issues? Thanks

Cura?
May 03, 2015 01:46PM
Thanks for the response Vanbot

I'm using Repetier Host.

Yea, I tried using Cura--should have mentioned this... it as its own set of issues. Like not providing any support for the male protrusions for connecting those same cable-chain links (above). I really don't think that that would work too well, or am I missing something here? tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2015 01:50PM by 55rebel.
May 04, 2015 12:06AM
Is the STL manifold?
May 04, 2015 10:20AM
Sorry IMBoring25, not sure I understand what your saying. Would you mind spelling this out for me? Thanks
May 04, 2015 02:08PM
Manifold means it's a good mesh, in a sense, watertight, with all the facets facing the right way and having common edges with all the adjacent facets. Slic3r shows in the lower right corner whether the model is manifold and how many errors there are.
May 04, 2015 05:21PM
Hmm? I haven't noticed anything in the lower right corner indicating an error; like I said, I'm using Repetier-Host which utilizes Slic3r. I'll have to pay particular attention next time I slice something. Thanks for the heads-up IMBoring25.
....Gee, you don't seem that boring to me winking smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 05:22PM by 55rebel.
May 04, 2015 07:42PM
Use meshmixer and create custom support.
May 04, 2015 09:56PM
It does appear the manifold check doesn't show up when it's running windowed in Repetier. I've always run it separately, which gives more flexibility, and 1.2.6 has some neat new features.
May 05, 2015 11:42PM
sungod3k...
Yeah, I checked out that Meshmixer....really like the support features, compared to what Slic3r and Cura provide; MUCH easier removing them, depending on what your trying to build ....like the items in the above images. Worked out really nice for the drag-chain--sweeeeet!. Haven't tried it on that extruder fan-duct...yet. Thanks for that one!!

IMBoring25...
I tried that 1.2.6 version by itself, and still found it unreasonable on its support structures--as in over-kill & a hassle to remove here.

The Following is a comparison of the three slicers, that I have so far been exposed to:

Meshmixer (sweeeeet!)...

....Works Well!

Slic3r...

Cura...

And just because (I did this! tongue sticking out smiley )...

lol

AS you can tell, I rebuilt that drag-chain link... smiling smiley
dragChain_fixed.stl
(NOTE: the holes on this build are drilled out with a 5/32" drill bit....works better that way--for me. So don't expect it to work otherwise)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 12:11AM by 55rebel.
May 10, 2015 01:30AM
Get the free version of SOLIDVIEW. It's great for checking STL files. Parts show pink and open areas show yellow. Very usefull.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login