Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A (New?) GT2 Timing Belt and Pulley source

Posted by pwn4 
A (New?) GT2 Timing Belt and Pulley source
April 09, 2012 01:39AM
Hi guys, I'm new to Reprap and just starting off my first build. I work with systems that use stepper motors, 2mm pitch timing belts, and pulleys at my day job, so when I saw that for Prusa Mendel V2 people were recommending a more accurate than T5 timing belt I knew immediately that that was the right thing to do. I know from experience the kinds of gains in accuracy and precision you get from belt tightness and teeth size.

Anyways, I saw that in the belt guides (such as [reprap.org]) the only suppliers really were sdp-si and Misumi. Unfortunately the former only has something like 36 teeth pulleys, and the latter doesn't have a very friendly website at all. I wanted to maximize torque, since stepper motor speed didn't seem to be a limiting factor - just backlash, etc. So I did a little searching and found this place: royalsupply.com

I just purchased my timing belts and pulleys. I got them 6mm wide, and chose the 18 teeth pulley (as per the minimum in the guide, and as a general average in what I've read other people were getting). Here are their pages for GT2 belts and pulleys:

Pulley: [www.royalsupply.com]

Belt: [www.royalsupply.com]

Just figured some people might find this useful. Their pulley selection is great, but if you want belts the closest to 1m in size they have is something like 1.164 meters (the one I linked) which should work fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2012 01:40AM by pwn4.
Re: A (New?) GT2 Timing Belt and Pulley source
April 18, 2012 02:25PM
Thanks that's pretty helpful actually. I'm about to extend the print size of my Prusa and I was thinking of upgrading the belt system while I'm at it.
April 21, 2012 04:33AM
Thanks for the links. Any updates on your order? Did the pulleys and belts end up working out ok for you? I'm interested in getting the same ones, but am concerned about whether or not the pulleys would fit on the motor shafts.

Regarding the Misumi website, IMO it's like Google in terms of usability compared to that Royal Supply website. smiling smiley I can't find anything on there...

But if you tell me that you've actually received and used the parts that you linked to, I may try to place an order.
April 21, 2012 02:14PM
Shipping isn't too bad - I ordered 5 belts 2 sprockets on april 9th, it was shipped on April 13th, and I guess 'cause I live in Canada and didn't pay for faster shipping it's been in transit.

They gave me a UPS tracking number, though, which is nice. It went from ohio, to indiana, to illinois, to washington, and has arrived here in Richmond, BC yesterday. The last entry on the log says "Departure Scan" at 1:10 AM today, so presumably it will arrive here Monday since they don't deliver regular priority packages in Saturday. I'll let you guys know how they seem when I get them
April 28, 2012 01:03PM
im new to reprap also just starting my first build. i found this site [www.bbman.com] quick shipping and good prices.

i need a belt longer than1 meter they list them but no stock on any over a meter but good selection smaller.

also i think its a $30 min order
May 02, 2012 08:50AM
The order finally came in. It took them a few days to get it on its way. Unfortunately the pulleys seem to be a little small for the motor shaft. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. Other than that I think these will work quite nicely. The way these fit together seem quite a bit more precise than the original t5 timing belt. Hopefully I get some good result with these.
May 05, 2012 12:31AM
Got mine as well. Quality seems good, but the pulleys also did not fit on the motor shaft. I precariously put both gears in a wooden vice and drilled out the inside with my hand drill (slowly, carefully) without too much issue. They fit on now fine, but the motor shafts are metric and I used a standard drill bit so the fit isn't perfect. I think they'll be fine though.
May 05, 2012 12:38PM
I'm a little baffled by you guys saying that the shaft size was wrong. Of course it was! The webpage for that pulley clearly says that the bore is 3/16th inches (4.7625 millimeters). Stepper shaft is 5mm.

Perhaps you should have looked a little further down the page? Drilling out these pulleys by hand is a recipe for an off-center pulley which leads to uneven prints.

You might want to replace them with the Ultimachine pulleys for cheaper : [ultimachine.com]
May 05, 2012 05:16PM
amramsey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a little baffled by you guys saying that the
> shaft size was wrong. Of course it was! The
> webpage for that pulley clearly says that the bore
> is 3/16th inches (4.7625 millimeters). Stepper
> shaft is 5mm.
>
> Perhaps you should have looked a little further
> down the page? Drilling out these pulleys by hand
> is a recipe for an off-center pulley which leads
> to uneven prints.
>
> You might want to replace them with the
> Ultimachine pulleys for cheaper :
> [ultimachine.com]
> 0-tooth

amramsey you're the levelheaded friend I never had. Thanks for the link.
May 08, 2012 01:27AM
i just got some from lulzbot and they work great.
also, techpalidin , who is pointedstick on here has some that look the same to me.
both are at good prices.
as far as quality, i think it took out some of the waves in my prints that
was created by the big teeth going around the little 624 bearings on my orca x axis.
so flat sides are more flat.
they defiantly didn't hurt my print quality.
May 11, 2012 12:20PM
glrra19 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i just got some from lulzbot and they work great.
> also, techpalidin , who is pointedstick on here
> has some that look the same to me.
> both are at good prices.
> as far as quality, i think it took out some of the
> waves in my prints that
> was created by the big teeth going around the
> little 624 bearings on my orca x axis.
> so flat sides are more flat.
> they defiantly didn't hurt my print quality.

Yep, they are the same; we both get 'em from the same supplier. I like the ones that Lulzbot and I sell because their interior diameter is nearly identical to that of the 608 bearings we use for our idlers. As a result, the belt is straight, eliminating a source of positional inaccuracy (especially for the X-carriage).
May 05, 2013 01:43AM
May 05, 2013 12:52PM
hey you guys have awesome prices. if i needed 4 meters of gt2 belt, how much would that run?
May 06, 2013 10:29PM
....and when are you gonna fix your shopping basket?
May 07, 2013 09:28AM
[openlab.com.au] (Australia)
May 09, 2013 10:40AM
May 14, 2013 03:08AM
I just ordered from robotdigg.com, 10 meters of gt2 belt for 20 bucks, and 30 624zz bearings for 10.50. shipping is a little steep at 25 bucks but if you include that in the price of the stuff its a bargain, and I wont have to wait since its fedex instead of the free chinese shipping on ebay. the guys are really helpful too, they are just setting up the site, so you should contact them via email to make orders, but the shopping cart is now working to an extent. man im going to build some wicked corexy machines with the bearings and belt should be fun, 470mm^3 build area with 550mm/s working speed, 10000mm/s/s acceleration. should be fun and productive.
June 14, 2013 06:44PM
China Soure of GT2 pulley and belt
www.robotdigg.com
June 16, 2013 08:35AM
they are really high quality, the shipping sucks but it is fast. basically 25 bucks minimum shipping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login