Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Glider 3.0

Posted by buket of water 
Glider 3.0
November 03, 2011 04:13AM
Hello,

Im a beginner with this whole thing

I brought a glider as i knowing little about electronics. sadly it came with a blank usb stick so i downloaded repsnapper and a driver off their website. repsnapper works (minus connect to the printer) and the driver appears to do nothing

the issue im having is getting the computer to recognise the printer at all (running xp, java 6)

anyway i guess im after list of software i need and where to get it

Thanks for your help
Re: Glider 3.0
November 03, 2011 06:14AM
What's a "glider"? Probably you don't mean a sailplane smiling smiley

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 03, 2011 07:34AM
I wish. bit of a rope, bit of a pulley. done

mendel then
November 03, 2011 08:43AM
ok i've got the computer to recognise the micro for 4 whole second ...
November 03, 2011 10:44AM
Traumflug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's a "glider"? Probably you don't mean a
> sailplane smiling smiley

I'm guessing one of these:

The Glider 3.0 PnP 3D Printer
This is a fully assembled, plug-and-print Desktop 3D printer!

Take it out of the box, plug in the power cord and the USB and upload a 3D Model to print (no building or calibration necessary). Software comes with your printer settings fully saved on a USB Keychain so no installation needed.

Technical support service available via email to help you understand how your printer works and how to maintain it.

[www.reprapcentral.com]

I would suggest the OP should contact the seller for support - I'm not sure how standard the hardware and software for this thing is (although it looks like a normal Mendel)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 10:49AM by julianh72.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
November 03, 2011 11:57AM
This is made/marketed by Botmill. A company to stay away from.
November 03, 2011 07:33PM
ok the problem was the connectors inside the usb. so i have the printer connected to the usb

this is what i have done so far:
downloaded arduino (complier i guess)
installed Arduino MEGA 2560.inf

downloaded CDM20802_Setup
ran it
restarted the computer after it finished. yet it appears to do nothing

downloaded and installed repsnapper. minus connecting to the printer it appears to work.

Im not sure what to try next
Im assuming the machine itself is correctly wired. i don't have anything to compare it too.

was hoping to get it going before i had to go to work
November 06, 2011 06:12AM
Try installing the virtual com port driver from here:
[www.ftdichip.com]

That should create a com port for the software to use to connect to the printer. Then, fire up the arduino environment, select that com port, start the serial talker an tweak the baud rate till you see the word 'start'. Send the command 'M105', if it returns the current temperatures, you should be good to go.
November 09, 2011 08:16PM
that didn't seem to change anything.
also no longer getting a response from botmill - oh well

any i guess i have reset it electronically and upload sprinter firmware.

is there a way in arduino to download the program (if any) off the micro controller

i also don't know what electronic this has.
i know it has a arduino mega 2560

but if its ramps 1.4 or gen6 i don't know.

is there anyone in australia i could send the mother board to test this for me?

starting to walking around in circles now
November 10, 2011 04:29AM
Gen6 is a single board, RAMPS is a shield on top of a mega/mega 2560. Upload pics if unsure.

So far as I know, there's no practical way to download the firmware from the board. Google may turn up some hack to do it, but I believe it needs to be a function built into the firmware to be copied.

Sprinter includes a preset config for RAMPS 1.3 which should work with 1.4,as well as one for Gen6 so it should be a case of download, set, compile and burn.
November 10, 2011 06:00AM
WOO

right now i can get one LED to flash twice on the motherboard when i try to connect it with repsnapper

but repsnapper doesn't remain connected

*edit* but with rep rap's software i can agitate move i can't nudge x,y,z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 06:16AM by buket of water.
November 11, 2011 02:28AM
awesome. i got the extruder working. y working and z working!
November 11, 2011 08:08AM
You're very patient! That's supposed to be plug-and-play. You should be on Botmills case for not delivering what was promised. You should return it and ask for a refund. There are better options for plug-and-play. No offense, but judging from your post, you should really buy a real plug-and-play printer. The Mendel is not plug and play. Even if it works on delivery, you'll run into issues later on that you'll need to fix yourself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 08:11AM by brnrd.
November 11, 2011 05:33PM
Thank you.

No point as i live on the other side of the world chasing a refund.
pretty sure i've fried (or is was already) the A4988/83 chip for X axis

its a pretty simple machine, needs to be squared up and thread locked but i have one question.

if i was to build a frame with a bigger build space (let say 500mm x 500mm x 500mm) would the micro have enough memory for this or would i need a corecontroller?

also im waiting for this to come out
[3dhomemade.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2011 10:57AM
The micro does not need any more memory for a bigger machine. All it has to remember is the current coordinate, which is stored in 32 bit integers which is plenty for even a massive machine.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 21, 2011 12:05PM
Your heated bed would need maybe a kW of power with a printer that size smiling smiley

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Olodn
December 03, 2011 06:31PM
I also got the Glider 3.0.

I was hoping the installation wouldt be too hard as I am new to arduino microcontrollers
I am having problems installing the Arduino mega 2560.inf, Win7 doesent accept it in any way.
So far the printer is registered as FT232R USB UART

I have no idea about what the problem coud be.
December 04, 2011 01:20PM
Hi,

I too have a botmill glider and have it up and running with perfect prints.
But I did had to do some major adjustments.

I will guide through all the steps I took:

FIRST: Driver
You need to install the driver first before attaching your printer. I've attached it to this message (3 parts)

THEN: Slice Software
I use pronterface(in combination with skeinforge) to do my prints I would highly recommend you to do the same.
I have no experience with repsnapper.
Skeinforge might seem complicated at first but after a while you'll know all settings by heart.
And I can guide you through it so no worries.

THEN: End stops !!
You MUST make sure these are aligned correctly or you could destroy/bend some parts, especially the Z.
The first time I homed all axis my Z kept lowering bending my plate.
Lower your Z in increments of 1mm and make sure your hot-end is positioned above the openspace of your bed.
And even if you have aligned it properly you MUST always keep checking it because the metalsheet bends very easily if touched unintentionally. For this reason I've designed special guide rails (which I'll soon upload to thingiverse)
With these guide-rails you'll never have to worry about it again.

THEN: Firmware
You might also need to reconfigure your firmware. For me the settings were not correct.
I'm talking about thermistor configuration and steps_per_mm for all axis including extruder (called E).

You'll have to do some basic measurements first.
I used a simple ruler which I placed on the bed. Then I moved the hot-end by 100mm for each direction in Pronterface.
If they are correct you dont have to correct them.

Then turn on your hot-end and test it on different temperatures, I used 100C then 150C and then 200C.
I used an external temp-measurement-device to see if it matched.
But DONT do 200C-test if the previous two were not correct because if it's incorrect it might get too hot.

THEN: HOT-END
I highly recommend upgrading your hot-end to a makergear hot-end or the J Head MKIV-B.
Both are great (I have them both one for PLA 1.75mm and one for ABS-3mm).
The one Botmill gives you will jam-up quickly and/or break. I've been through 3 of them before I upgraded.

I suggest doing the above before I continue.

cheers cool smiley
Attachments:
open | download - CDM20802_Setup.part1.rar (600 KB)
open | download - CDM20802_Setup.part2.rar (600 KB)
open | download - CDM20802_Setup.part3.rar (91.7 KB)
February 16, 2012 12:10AM
I will jump in here and confirm that the botmill head is crap.
I got to use it for a whole 15 mins before it stopped extruding and then PLA started comming out from further up. Very dissapiointing for a so called out of the box solution.

Bill D
November 01, 2012 02:30PM
I have a glider 3.0 the fist one that they sent me had ramps 1.4 on it and did not work out of the box
the y axis was the only one that worked fine x was jumpy and z did not move.
every time I companied they sent an email on how to fix it and it did not work.
it toke about 6 months to get a new machine and it had a broken bearing holder with missing bearing.
the new one had a gen 6 board.
but it printed marginally nowhere near the quality they claimed I used repsnaper and that's not the best program to use.
now I am trying to switch to ponterface or repiteire when installed ponterface all axis worked but the extruder did not seem to work.
I played with the extruder settings to speed it up and it worked but when I siced an stl file and tried to print it everything worked fine exept the extruder it did not move and the same thing with repetier can any one help me the thought of printing with repsnaper will drive me crazy.
November 01, 2012 07:09PM
I have a glider 3.0 the fist one that they sent me had ramps 1.4 on it and did not work out of the box
the y axis was the only one that worked fine x was jumpy and z did not move.
every time I companied they sent an email on how to fix it and it did not work.
it toke about 6 months to get a new machine and it had a broken bearing holder with missing bearing.
the new one had a gen 6 board.
but it printed marginally nowhere near the quality they claimed I used repsnaper and that's not the best program to use.
now I am trying to switch to ponterface or repiteire when installed ponterface all axis worked but the extruder did not seem to work.
I played with the extruder settings to speed it up and it worked but when I siced an stl file and tried to print it everything worked fine exept the extruder it did not move and the same thing with repetier can any one help me the thought of printing with repsnaper will drive me crazy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login