Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IDEX and IDE...Y?

Posted by PtitLu 
IDEX and IDE...Y?
November 06, 2017 01:09PM
Hi,

I need your opinion about something, does it seems possible, with a CoreXY architecture, to have two separate X axis on two separate Y axis. With this, there will be four printing heads, one at each corner. Any idea?

Thanks.
Re: IDEX and IDE...Y?
November 06, 2017 02:23PM
Or you could go CoreXYU:
[forums.reprap.org]
November 06, 2017 05:26PM
Yeah, I have already thought of it and what I was thinking was an extension of this architecture.
November 07, 2017 02:04AM
A while back, I thought about using 4 SCARA arms on one printbed. That would make mechanics much easier. Problem was, there is no firmware to support this ( co-operation of n controllers with the need of a few more datalines ) and SCARA arms are tricky to build.
November 07, 2017 12:43PM
PtitLu
Yeah, I have already thought of it and what I was thinking was an extension of this architecture.

The coreXYU has mechanical advantages over a two gantry coreXY.
The non-moving X gantry adds its steppers to moving the gantry in Y, as the gantry will be the heaviest component you see the gain.

A dual gantry coreXY will have the same number of steppers and belts as a coreXYU, the only plus is you don't lose any X travel to accommodate the second carriage that the coreXYU adds to the gantry. However, you sacrifice Y for the additional gantry.

Now, if you're talking dual coreXYU, belt routing will definately be an issue. That and you'll need 8 steppers just for the XY table alone. Plus 4 for the extruders and atleast one for the Z, for a total of 13. Don't know of any boards that support that many...
November 07, 2017 01:42PM
Yeah, it will be very difficult to have this.
After thinking a bit more, a CoreXYU architecture seems to be good choice for what I am trying to do. Do you have any schematics to have a general idea of the motors positions?
November 07, 2017 02:57PM
The most straight forward stepper location is on the arms (lowest point in the picture below), where the belts make a 180 degree wrap.
Two steppers point up, and two down. So the arms will resemble two hammers, if you have an open frame like Hlidskjalf.

For Hlidskjalf, I added more pulleys on the side for a 2:1 ratio. More for packaging, and "overly complex" for most maker's tastes.

For Lars coreXYU project, think he used shafts to drive the belts so the steppers are at the base.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login