Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Poor Man's Digital Dentist Core XY build

Posted by Qdeathstar 
Re: Poor Man's Digital Dentist Core XY build
August 10, 2017 09:52AM
I wouldnt do it any other way I like the solution, I also proposed a similar thing in one of my designs, but it was a double ended stepper & 2 shafts. Because the shaft is keyed I suppose that also helps as the shaft need not touch as long as the key engages.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2017 06:33AM by MechaBits.
August 12, 2017 06:06PM

Finally got the mill home and in place. I still have a lot of set up to do. I need to extend an existing 20amp 240v circuit so I can power the thing... and need to install the digital read out.

The mill and stand weighs around 1000lbs winking smiley.
August 16, 2017 09:29PM
Was recently watching some Mill video's started to see the Grizzly thought ohh nice another we cant get in the UK, then I saw some bady YT reviews, will be interesting to see how you get on with it. Did you grab a bargin?
August 17, 2017 04:49AM
there are some people who won't accept less than a full sized knee mill from bridgeport or one of the other non-chinese companies. Im not an expert, but judging from what i've done thus far it's a capable machine. I mean, yeah, if you got room and money for a bridgeport go for it. A working bridgeport goes for around 4500 without tooling, and you need some heavy equipment to move it in to a newly built garage, because the one you have won't the adequate in terms of size csmiling smiley
August 18, 2017 09:03PM
they certainly look capable enough, is it manual on both x&y, any plans to upgrade, was it less than 2k? looks like spanking new one smiling smiley
August 19, 2017 08:53AM
It has power feed on the x-axis, I plan to add power downfeed on the head (not the spindle), I am currently working on installing dro. I don't think milling is very popular around here, there was nothing for sale except rust-bucket machines locally, though I expect that may have to do with the fact that most of the population is transient ( 4 larger military bases within 20 miles of me) and the fact that we live in a marine environment... I paid about $2700 for the machine. Add $1000 for tooling, $1000 for the dro (though I wish I had of gotten a nice set of magnetic dros instead of glass bead, looks a little easier to set up, and cheaper).

I already had a major screw up on it, I was using an endmill and for some reason I thought you could take cuts of any depth with an endmill (but you cannot) and ended up sliding the 100lb vice down the table, apparently I did not have the vice right enough, then the endmill stopped spinning because it got binded up in the material.. luckily I didn't have the end mill installed correctly in the collet so the collect kept spinnng, chewing up the end mill instead of the gearing on the machine. I'm starting a machine shop class at my community college next week smiling smiley

Once I get the dro installed I'll take some more pics, sadly I've only had a few hours to play with it over the past week because of work, and those weekend I'm going to see the eclipse...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2017 08:56AM by Qdeathstar.
August 20, 2017 12:56AM
Cool look forward to seeing some stuff from it, Have you seen the laser hole finder attachment, seems like a good device to make with 3D Printer, for mill.
September 07, 2017 03:48PM
that is a nice setup... how mich was the lathe?
September 10, 2017 02:37PM
Around 1900 €, but I think it is much cheaper in US (I think the equivalent is Grizzly 10x22). And you get more toys with it in the smaller price sad smiley
September 13, 2017 09:31AM
Found this thread of a guy reworking hiz Grizz [www.cnczone.com]
I really want to get back into milling stuff but when you see the amount of extra work you might have to get involved with,
3D printings a breeze by comparison.
September 13, 2017 08:47PM
he is turning a milling machine into a cnc machine...
September 18, 2017 04:28AM
Yes I know...

On the subject of 3D printing being a breeze compared to milling, I had a dig around in the settings of cura the other night as I was thinking of trying some of the new stuff in it, but when I saw the amount of stuff I needed to configure...I thought nah,.. another time...
So 3d Printing obviously has enough depth & complexity if you want it, but you dont need as many extra tools jig's & stuff needed for milling, so that what i meant.
September 19, 2017 08:07AM
In 3D printing the mistakes are cheap, unless you have $$$ printer or $$$ materials (i.e no Statasys). Milling and lathing are expensive as I've recently discovered: money for tools, money for materials, lots of non-idle time spent and a huge mess to clean up.
September 19, 2017 08:39AM
and with me moaning about the price of cheap filament, you might have guessed there was no magic money tree in my back garden(what am i saying I dont even have a back garden & shed), thats why I dream of something compact & bijou to do small parts without much extra tooling, with a tiny endmill bit(I bet the cost on them mounts up)...who cares if it takes a few hours...something bigger needs so much more resources including the space for it & the time to devote to it, i'll be happy to just get one in the community to use, .

Poor Mans Digital Dentist just spent a few bob & has the space for it, can't be that poor, or the Dentist is extremely rich.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2017 07:55AM by MechaBits.
October 22, 2017 01:36PM
Here is an update

This is the mount for the idler pulleys. I was using printed abs but after a month of tension in the belt the abs want really holding up, plus, i had to use long screws because the abs was thick...

A view from underneath, showing some pocketed fasteners.

This is the base of the motor mounts. The slots are to allow sideways adjustment of the motor, so that i can keep the belts parallel and at 90 degrees. I will cut slots in the aluminum tubing to tension the belts.

Just another view from the underside...

I really enjoy milling, got a lot to learn but there is something satisfying about shaping metal into something,

Got a few pictures of the mill set up with dro as well. A lot of chips..

I think ebay. is the best bed to get tooling, I got some nice end mills that are much higher quality than the grizzly set i bought for about half the price.... i want to get a corner-radius end mill set and maybe a face cutting end mill asap, but maybe after i get my small lathe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2017 01:50PM by Qdeathstar.
October 23, 2017 01:23AM
Those bellows on the linear guides are definitely worth it. I've noticed it on my bare mgn12 rails too sad smiley
Maybe the shapeoko-v-wheels version has an advantage there?
I'm thinking of adding a "curtain" around my spindle, allowing me to attach a vacuum cleaner hose right where the chips come from.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login