Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So I built my first printer, a CoreXY with a ball screw, from a kit...

Posted by Raketemensch 
So I built my first printer, a CoreXY with a ball screw, from a kit...
February 19, 2017 02:34PM
It was a hell of an adventure, the kit came with only photos for a manual, without a single word. The screws were in numbered bags, but the numbers were pretty much meaningless. A bunch of the parts in the photos were different from what was in the bag,

But, after 4 or 5 long days of head-scratching and running to the hardware store for missing screws,I finally have it all assembled and wired up and fired up. I went through and set the vrefs on the board far all 4 motors, and I have it connected to Octoprint.

However, I'm stuck at this point. It powers on cleanly (and the smoke stayed in!), but when I try to calibrate it one of the X/Y motors drags the hot end over to one side (the side without an end stop) and continues hammering against it, so I have to unplug it.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong, other than completely winging this?

It's this kit here, for the curious:

[www.aliexpress.com]
Re: So I built my first printer, a CoreXY with a ball screw, from a kit...
February 19, 2017 03:58PM
It's the same old story:
Where did you place your endstops, how are they defined in firmware ( min/max?) and did you put the endstop wiring in the right port on the controller.
The next challenge is the endstop logic: is it normally open or normally close? That can be inverted in firmware or in some cases with a solder iron. ( Bare switches without a Led PCB )
All that you can check with the M119 command sent by a serial terminal ( Octoprint terminal ). You'll see which endstop is triggered or not.

The next step is stepper direction: Do they run the right way when you send move commands? If not, reverse the plug for the motor, AFTER you've powered OFF.
Re: So I built my first printer, a CoreXY with a ball screw, from a kit...
February 19, 2017 04:14PM
Many thanks, I'll get started on this now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login