Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cheaper alternative to Eclips3D v2 design

Posted by Octocom199 
Cheaper alternative to Eclips3D v2 design
February 16, 2017 08:59AM
Hey guys,

I really wanted to build the corexy Eclips3D v2.0 build, it ticks all boxes on design corexy, rails, extended z hight and enclose"important", but hit a problem. Just to get the metal parts done in the uk and tapped would cost just over £900 which is way too much. I was hoping for 300-400 for these parts.

Do you guys know any alternatives I could build?

octocom
Re: Cheaper alternative to Eclips3D v2 design
February 16, 2017 02:34PM
Customise the design to fit your needs? Most people here just make there own. A lot of people on this forum started with kits and then just designed there own, or took heavy inspiration from other designs. I'm in the process of designing a coreXY and my current budget is about £500. I'll likely be using V-slot (I'm from the UK).

How are you making the metal parts? A pillar drill, a hacksaw and a set of calipers is all you need to start making accurate metal components at home. This will set you back about £100 from your nearest screwfix, and is an investment that will last a long time.
February 16, 2017 05:06PM
Have a look at the Hypercube, [www.thingiverse.com] it is fairly cheaper (I too was looking at Eclipse 1&2) and a simple design (and fully enclosed if you want)

You can shop locallly or online (motedis or others) for profiles, rods and precision stuff, and Banggood for the rest.

Disclaimer: io ce la metto tutta a darti consigli sensati, sta a te non incendiare nulla :-)
CoreXY HyperCube. [www.thingiverse.com] | Cerchi test? Make: test set: [www.thingiverse.com]
March 23, 2017 09:24AM
If you already have a 3D printer build an MPCNC and cut them yourself!
That's what i'm doing! As far as I can see its a win win. I get a new cnc machine to play with, and a cool new printer with machined aluminium parts.

I'm in UK too so if you want id be happy to cut some parts for you once the MPCNC is up and running. Iv done some test cuts in aluminium and it cuts well, just need to work on the accuracy and finish tidying up the wiring. I can't make any promises about when I might get round to doing this, but if you are willing to wait and cover the cost of material id be happy to help!

FYI, the max size I can cut is just under 500 by 400mm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 11:07AM by Andy1989.
March 25, 2017 01:23AM
I don't want to hijack thread, But Andy can you expand on the MPCNC please? Is it this?
MPCNC

Did I understand you correctly you are cutting aluminum with this? What is your spindle a dewalt 660?

Thanks
March 25, 2017 03:57PM
I doubt your cutting aluminum for very long accurately with printed carriage
March 30, 2017 07:55AM
Yep that's the one, and yes it will cut aluminium.... very slowly.

I'm just using a Makita knockoff at the moment I found on ebay.

So far I have only mocked it up on a scrap of MDF and run some test cuts in ply and aluminium. The accuracy wasn't great (My 20mm square came out at 19.6mm), but I just wanted to prove it was capable of cutting aluminium before building a new bench and spending more money.

I agree plastic parts are not ideal for a CNC, or even a 3D printer in my opinion. But if you keep within the limits of the machine they work just fine.

If you are interested check out the MPCNC forum. There are lots of example builds on there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2017 07:58AM by Andy1989.
March 31, 2017 12:22PM
Andy1989
Yep that's the one, and yes it will cut aluminium.... very slowly.

I'm just using a Makita knockoff at the moment I found on ebay.

So far I have only mocked it up on a scrap of MDF and run some test cuts in ply and aluminium. The accuracy wasn't great (My 20mm square came out at 19.6mm), but I just wanted to prove it was capable of cutting aluminium before building a new bench and spending more money.

I agree plastic parts are not ideal for a CNC, or even a 3D printer in my opinion. But if you keep within the limits of the machine they work just fine.

If you are interested check out the MPCNC forum. There are lots of example builds on there.

I think you'll probably find that it will be a combination of depth and speed that limits your cutting abilities.... The plastic will work, but to keep it working in the long run without having to replace parts will mean very shallow, slow cuts. I would still be tempted to just be done with it and make a proper CNC machine from the beginning! That way you get reliability, speed and depth.

Let us know how it works out though! If it can reliably cut 19.6mm square every time then at least it's just a matter of changing the steps per mm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login