Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Want to build new Corexy and so many concerns

Posted by n9jcv 
Want to build new Corexy and so many concerns
February 12, 2017 12:41AM
So a little background, I have been 3d printing for about 3 years. I first built an I3 aluminum frame from a kit. Then I build a cherry pi delta. When I built the cherry pi delta, I designed a new effector, arms, carriages, partially due to my want and partially due to materials I already had vs what I could not obtain cheaply, etc. The cherry pi turned out great. Next I built a 100% custom I3 from 2020 extrusion. I desiged every part on this machine. I have since sold my delta and aluminum i3, and my custom 2020 i3 is the best so far. I have built a few others, like a small i3, build 6x6x6 for my god son, that was a good project for he and all, all custom.

Now I want to build a corexy. Top contenders for me are Hypercube and FB2020. Don't take the following wrong. The people that designed these machines did an excellent job and I commend them for all their efforts, and sharing with the community. But there are again things I don't like or things, that I would rather change. Some small some large.

I should mention, I do fairly well in Sketchup. But that is about the extent of my 3d modeling skills and I don't have $ for solidworks, autocad stuff like that. Also, I have hand tools, but no metal working tools or experience. So I know some use aluminum exclusively, but for me it is extrusions and plastic parts.

One example, FB2020 seems to use M4x8 screws, well I have about 1000 M5x10 and would rather go that route, but that means I would be modifying all those parts to be a bit thicker and bigger holes, not a biggie right.

Then both the hypercube and fb2020 use cantilevered beds. Now I agree most are dual 12mm rods with a lead screw and at the size and weights of the bed, those 12mm rods will not flex. But to me the design just is bad. I know many others have different opinions. It is like this bike fork, I see this and I say to myself, why would you do that, you are just asking for trouble, yes it may work, but do you really want to do that? You could make it some much stronger by doubling up with the legs of the fork.

So what I want to do with the bed is use 3 8mm rods, 2 in rear and one center front, and leadscrew between 2 in rear for movement. To me just seems better, like a fork with 2 legs seems better to me smiling smiley Has anyone else actually used this Z design successfully in a configuration like this?

Then some have vertical x carriage and others horizontal. For now I am leaning with a horizontal to maximize Z height. Some have motors in and some out. For me I want the motors in, I would like everything in the frame.

One question I have is can the corexy movement function properly using only 2/3 of the width of the cube. Reason being, use 2/3 for bed and the other 1/3 for eletronics,power supply etc, perhap that electronics section being enclosed to look nice. I think as long as the x and y belts have the same length and route, then it should function properly, it should not matter what size the actual frame is, correct?

So how many others have had these same dilema? At first I thought maybe I could compromise and just go with a published design, but my brain refuses to cooperate, it says I MUST modify certain things lol
Re: Want to build new Corexy and so many concerns
February 12, 2017 02:55AM
I'm on the same page as you. I've chosen the D-Bot as template ( it uses M5x10 BTW... ) and then flipped through the 100+ remixes to see what others had changed.
Most remixes were about using three rollers instead of four, or had 4-corner bed support.

Took some parts from the "spiff-bot" mainly because he is providing .scad files.
I will redesign the gantry to run linear rails and also have the X-axis rails on the frame and the h-beam is in Y-direction ( 100mm shorter beam for a 300x200 bed )

The good thing about extrusion-frames is, you can change things easily.
February 12, 2017 09:00AM
Three rails for the Z axis is common, but you'll find that having one on the front edge of the bed gets in the way when you want to remove a print or do any work on the extruder. It is more common to put two along the sides near the front and the third rail at the back where it is out of the way. I doesn't really matter if you use three rails, lifting with one screw is going to either bind or bounce. You need a minimum of two, and a third will help. And unless you like releveling your bed frequently, don't even think about driving them with separate motors. Use a closed loop belt to drive as many screws as you decide to use with a single motor. Look at the CoreXYNZ thread for an example of a CoreXY done right.

The size and shape of the bed don't matter, CoreXY will work fine in any square/rectangular configuration as long as the A and B belt paths are identical/mirror images.

Vertical vs horizontal extruder carriage doesn't really matter, if you go horizontal to use less vertical space, then the machine gets bigger horizontally. Most people prefer a smaller footprint and don't mind a machine getting taller. In the end you use whatever fits best with the extruder and hot-end you intend to use.

I wouldn't use anything but linear guides for all three axes. End supported round rails can flex, you have to worry about keeping them parallel (its much easier to align parallel linear guides), and the convenience of screwing things to square, flat bearing blocks can't be denied.

If you want to print ABS the printer will need to be enclosed (and warm). In that case it's a good idea to put the motors and electronics outside the enclosure. Many of the CoreXY designs you see are built without such consideration, using the frame as part of the linear motion assembly, with pulleys, belts, etc. extending out beyond the edges of the frame. If they ever want to enclose such a machine for printing ABS, they're going to have to build a big box around the machine, and then figure out what to do with the electronics. A little advance planning will make it easy to use the frame of the machine to enclose the printer. See: [www.instructables.com]

I am building a CoreXY machine of my own, constantly changing design. It will use belts to lift the Z axis and be enclosed for printing ABS. Build capacity will be 300 x 300 x700 mm. The frame is made from 40 x 40 mm slot extrusion, all linear motion is guided using linear guides. X and Y motors will be outside the enclosure as will the electronics. That one is here: [forums.reprap.org]

Whatever you do, avoid the use of plastic, especially printed plastic parts in your printer. You don't want to end up with something that looks like this (check out the upper right front corner):

And if your frame needs this level of bracing, you need to use larger cross-section frame members:

This is getting a little excessive, too (do you think those dozens of little corner braces are really adding anything to the stiffness of this thing?):

These images came from a web site that had compiled hundreds of such images of coreXY machines, but I have lost the link. Look at other designs and be critical. Then you can design your own machine avoiding other people's mistakes while copying their good ideas.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 12:50PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 12, 2017 09:32AM
Sketchup is bad for 3D printing, with most STL files it produces requiring repair before they can be printed. DesignSpark Mechanical is about as easy to use but much more powerful and produces good STL files you won't have to repair. It is free crippleware that lacks some features of a pro CAD package.

Fusion360 is essentially free, fully featured pro CAD package with a bit of a learning curve.

OnShape is a fully featured CAD that was written by the guys who created SolidWorks, so it is similar. It is cloud based which means you can use it on anything that has a web browser, which to me makes it the best CAD option available for Linux.

You can get a free SolidWorks license by joining the EAA for $40. See: [www.eaa.org]

February 12, 2017 10:48AM
I couldn't find the link, but I did discover that I had scraped the site and grabbed a lot of the pictures of other CoreXY builds. You can see a lot of them in this directory: [mark.rehorst.com]

There's a lot of good and a lot of bad examples to look at in there...

Photos and CAD renderings from my own build can be seen in the parent directory: [mark.rehorst.com]

Plenty of mistakes and hopefully, their corrections in there, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 12:55PM by the_digital_dentist.

February 12, 2017 05:06PM
Sketchup will allow you to design your printer, and even design for 3D printing but its not a parametric CAD program and you will be banging your head against the wall when you struggle to design even the simplest of models. Curves are impossible (or at least bloody annoying) and anything even remotely more precise then a mm will cause weird manifold issues in your build where sketchup tries to 'guess' what length something should really be.

Fusion360 is essentially free. Not bad for a free program either, however weird shortcuts and having to manually click tools and manually orbit makes me pull my hair out sometimes.

Has anyone tried that EAA deal!? Especially interested to see if anyone from the UK has tried to sign up. $40 is insanely cheap for Solidworks.

Also, Linear guides are not the only option. Check out V-slot. It works out about the same price as linear guides, but allows for the flexibility that extrusion brings to your design. Here is a close up of the layer alignment I get at 300 microns. I can repeat this across 200 or even 100 micron layers. Not tried 50 yet, but I rarely use it.

Also, I believe cantilevered beds can work and have the advantage of being a nice simple design, obviously this may have some compromises when you have to over engineer the design to avoid the issues Digital Dentist has already mentioned.
I would avoid plastic parts as much as possible. They work, but come with more compromises then advantages. Make your Prototype in plastic and move onto metal as soon as possible.
February 12, 2017 07:55PM
Origamib,

That is very good. What printer is that, a corexy you designed?

That is the point I guess everything has pros and cons, you can over engineer to avoid issues or use lesser parts and accept compromises. I do not have any metal capabilities. Just what I can do with a drill and miter saw. Mostly just cutting the extrusions and drilling. So for me this means I have to accept compromises with some plastic parts.

I have been spending the day looking at parts. Seems I am about to go the route of the Hypercube and the FB 2020 and just take what I need and re-design pretty much every part. That however I guess is half the fun for me.
February 13, 2017 01:27AM
I like the recent "D-Bot CoreXY in threes" by printingSome.
[www.thingiverse.com]

DD won't like the 3 stepper Z, and I don't care for the unsupported Z screws.

The 3x D-bot build does link source files. Everyone seems to have their own take on the CoreXY.
February 13, 2017 11:51AM
prot0typ1cal
I like the recent "D-Bot CoreXY in threes" by printingSome.
[www.thingiverse.com]

DD won't like the 3 stepper Z, and I don't care for the unsupported Z screws.

The 3x D-bot build does link source files. Everyone seems to have their own take on the CoreXY.

I'm not a huge fan of the Dbot... Printed corners I can deal with, but those printed motor mounts will warp out of shape in no time at all. Printed gantry plates don't keep there shape for very long either. Not to mention the essentially cantilevered bed with only a couple of wheels on the extrusion to support it. The extra screws help but I just can't see the wheels keeping that in line for very long.
February 13, 2017 11:57AM
I try to limit printed parts to things like limit switch mounts that aren't subjected to much force and things like belt clamps that are primarily used in compression. Motor heat and belt tension will cause plastic parts to warp over time. Plastic frame stiffeners make no sense to me when all you have to do is cut some aluminum plate with a hack saw if you don't have a power saw available and drill a few holes. There are probably very few 3D printing enthusiasts that don't have basic hand tools.

February 13, 2017 01:31PM
Interesting discussion.

the digital dentist:
Thanks for mentioning EAA.org, what an opportunity for and entry in to Solidworks.

n9jcv

Sounds like we are about in the same position. I also use plastic parts and have very few hand tools.
So I purchase what I can and use printed plastic otherwise. I'm just starting the testing phase of a HyperCube printer.
It uses a mixture of M5x10 and M5x8mm screws. It would not be very hard to modify the M5x8's to use M5x10's.
I did change some of the things on the HyperCube. Mostly I increased the height so that all the electronics could be
placed under the bed. The other thing I did is to use 2 Z steppers. I can hear the heads shaking now, yes it dose take
re-leveling the bed occasionally. Re-leveling the bed is not that hard to do and usually only takes me about 5 minutes to do.
Mostly it depends on how you construct the bed. I use leveling springs. Makes it simple.

I switched from using Sketchup to FreeCad about a year ago. I found it be more flexible.
I should say that I don't design very much anymore so a simple system usually works for me.

Enjoy your build
February 13, 2017 02:14PM
kd6hq

Thanks for the comments. I really dont see a big deal with 2 z steppers. I have an I3, running for 2 years and it has never gotten out of level. The steppers always seem to be in sync. Once leveled it is done for me. I don't use autobed leveling, just did it once very well and used bolts and nuts to secure and from there it holds. Mind you it would get out of sync if some just decided to twist a z rod. But in my world that just does not happen, no curious little children around lol. Even if it did though it would not be the end of the world, 5 min and it could be leveled again.

DD
yes, I have a hacksaw and drill and could cut corner plates, but with a hacksaw and drill that is a very time consuming process. Would probably have to use 2 or 3mm aluminum plate cutting with a hacksaw would take some time, then have to mark the holes precisely and even more precisely try and drill them. Thus I think why most just go to printed corners. Just click the print button lol

I do however have a miter saw I know I can cut 2020 extrusion with it, and that seems to work pretty well Anybody have experience cutting aluminum plate with a miter saw?

Thanks
February 13, 2017 02:44PM
A carbide blade or a blade for nonferrous metals will cut aluminum. Unfortunately, miter saw cuts usually aren't square enough to just bolt the aluminum pieces together. I always cut a few mm longer than needed, then mill to final length. That allows the frame members to be simply butted together resulting in a square frame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 02:45PM by the_digital_dentist.

February 13, 2017 03:15PM
n9jcv
kd6hq

Thanks for the comments. I really dont see a big deal with 2 z steppers. I have an I3, running for 2 years and it has never gotten out of level. The steppers always seem to be in sync. Once leveled it is done for me. I don't use autobed leveling, just did it once very well and used bolts and nuts to secure and from there it holds. Mind you it would get out of sync if some just decided to twist a z rod. But in my world that just does not happen, no curious little children around lol. Even if it did though it would not be the end of the world, 5 min and it could be leveled again.

DD
yes, I have a hacksaw and drill and could cut corner plates, but with a hacksaw and drill that is a very time consuming process. Would probably have to use 2 or 3mm aluminum plate cutting with a hacksaw would take some time, then have to mark the holes precisely and even more precisely try and drill them. Thus I think why most just go to printed corners. Just click the print button lol

I do however have a miter saw I know I can cut 2020 extrusion with it, and that seems to work pretty well Anybody have experience cutting aluminum plate with a miter saw?

Thanks
I built my machine with a hacksaw and a drill and a drop saw. I print out the parts and glue the paper to the aluminium with glue stick then drill (a bit oversize) then cut out with the hack saw. 3mm is fine. You need a couple of files too though. I didn't find this too time consuming, motivation and confidence is the problem most people have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login