Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X, Y not moving correctly - Help please

Posted by kd6hq 
X, Y not moving correctly - Help please
January 12, 2017 07:21AM
I've completed the basic frame assembly and am now testing the motors to make sure everything moves in the correct direction. Well they don't!

When I try and move the "X" or "Y" direction, both X and Y move creating a 45° angle.
So that if I try to home Y, X moves also.

From searching and reading I know that the common question is "Is the firmware setup for CoreXY", yes it is.

// Uncomment one of these options to enable CoreXY, CoreXZ, or CoreYZ kinematics
// either in the usual order or reversed
#define COREXY

I am currently using a RUMBA controller, I have also tried it on a RAMPS 1.4 controller and get the same result.

I am using Repetier-Host software for control. I have not seen any setup information in Repetier for CoreXY machines, but perhaps there is?

I have watched a video which shows what movement you should see when moving the motors by hand. Following the video moving the motors by hand and I get the correct movement, so I guess mechanically it is setup correctly.

I will attach my configuration file. Firmware is Marlin RC-8.

So any thoughts as to what can cause this?

thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (55.1 KB)
Re: X, Y not moving correctly - Help please
January 12, 2017 08:18AM
Please clarify

"When I try and move the "X" or "Y" direction, both X and Y move creating a 45° angle.
So that if I try to home Y, X moves also."

So what exactly are the motors doing.

For a X+ move both steppers should turn counter clockwise, for a X- move both steppers should turn clockwise
For a Y+ move the left stepper moves counter clockwise and the right stepper turns clockwise, Y- is the reverse

For it to move diagonally one motor is not moving.

You say it is not firmware... therefor a dead stepper driver? bad stepper wring?

Should be easy to see which stepper isnt moving and go from there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 08:22AM by Dust.
January 12, 2017 01:36PM
Well I made a little progress.

While I'm using Repeiter-Host
If I press on the "Y" home button, it now moves in the correct direction to the end stop.
This appears to be Y- as the left stepper is rotating clockwise and the right counter clockwise.

The "X" home button works opposite as I would expect.
Both steppers move counter clockwise (X+), which is away from the end stop(X-).
January 13, 2017 03:14AM
Turns out that I also had the stepper motors flip flopped. So I had X where Y should have been etc...

Also had 2 bad stepper drivers but it's working now.... on to Z testing now.
thanks
January 13, 2017 08:32AM
Keep a bunch of spare driver modules handy because you're going to need them. That's one of the many problems with the Arduino/RAMPS controllers. There are much better, more reliable alternatives if you're willing to spend a few more $ to save a lot of time.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 13, 2017 01:20PM
This was not on a RAMPS board. These were also new drivers, DRV8825's which I installed incorrectly.
I did not know that they need to be installed rotated from the way A4988's are. Fortunately I had ordered extra's.

I do have another printer that uses a RAMPS 1.4 board and have never had to replace a driver in it. It's been in operation about 2 years.
Perhaps my experience is not the usual one. I also keep the voltage level low, just to the point where everything works, usually around .5-.6 v.

I do understand about the "newer" boards. I did look at 2 of them. I couldn't believe that someone designed a new printer board with 32 bit
operating and did not put a minimum of 3 stepper drivers on it. I mean really, the parts to add a 3 driver don't really cost that much.
Any way I wanted to try a color mixing hot end so I stayed with older technology. So I purchased a RUMBA board, which has the 3 stepper
drivers I wanted on one board and no extensions to purchase.

Anyway, onward I guess.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login