Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preferred Z Axis Style?

Posted by MatthewHall 
Re: Preferred Z Axis Style?
October 07, 2016 07:09AM
the_digital_dentist
Very beefy! It looks like a lot of mass for the motor bearings to support, or is the motor in a mount that takes the weight off the motor shaft?

Unfortunately, the weight is resting on the motor bearings.

This is a known issue to me and it's on my "improvement" list. I want to rest the lead-screw on it's own mount and drive it with a closed belt (adding some reduction in the process).

If you notice, I have diagonal beams mounted on the frame. This was a needed improvement, because the weight of the bed coupled with accelerations of the Y axis made the frame to slightly flex and made the bed to bounce. The effect was visible only inside infills or sharp corners. Now this bounce is completely gone.
October 07, 2016 12:32PM
Counter balance?

confused smiley
October 07, 2016 01:03PM
I'm using a counter weight on the belt driven z axis. The z axis weighs 750g and I have a 500g weight counteracting it. Works well definitely lower motor current needed with it than without.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
October 07, 2016 01:10PM
cozmicray
Counter balance?

[attachment 84654 CW2j.jpeg]

confused smiley

Not a bad idea, but to add another 10-15 kg to the printer to compensate for the already heavy bed is not that desirable. Better to support the lead-screw on it's own mount, it's quite easy to implement. Let's also not forget about the need to eliminate backlash using the weight of the bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login