CoreXYNZ build

Posted by RodF 
Re: CoreXYNZ build
February 09, 2017 10:41PM
SatorCodex
Hi!

Ive been reading thru this thread.
Very nice build and skills from you!
I got alot of input from it. For my own coming build.
Don't be afraid to make more posts here! winking smiley

Pictures and videoclips. smiling smiley

May I ask how much is warps when you heat it up? (if you have measured it when heated?)

I like the duetwifi board. That probe looks very promising.

Thanks, I am pushing to get it finished off now. The probe is great. A good idea to map the bed hot as well as cold, I'll give it a try soon.
February 09, 2017 10:57PM
After using the machine for a few weeks I decided to make a new extruder mounting plate. Now I can take off the extruder assembly simply by removing 2 screws and unplugging the wiring. Have also incorporated a mounting system for a print cooling fan and shroud. The extruded plastic coming out of the .8mm nozzle really retains it's heat so small parts of the print stay very soft unless I go really slow.

Also got the ACP back plate on. Had to hold all the sliding nuts in place with blue tack and carefully measure all the hole positions.

February 10, 2017 08:59AM
Any idea how much it weighs? How are you sending files to it to print?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 10, 2017 04:06PM
the_digital_dentist
Any idea how much it weighs? How are you sending files to it to print?
I will weigh it today. It is a one person lift although a bit awkward so I am going to put lift handles on it.
I have quite a few prints now. I have only used the Wifi for control and I really like the web interface. The Duet Wifi board and support for it is brilliant.
The machine is in the workshop at the moment and is quite distant from the modem. I have got a signal booster now and that is great. I do have problems though when my 2 boys and the wife are all smashing the band widtheye rolling smiley
February 10, 2017 05:26PM
Got the top and filament reel holder on.

February 11, 2017 10:02PM
I weighed the machine today and it is 22.9 kg at the moment. So it will go a bit over 23kg. A bit of a lift but manageable.

I made a short video [www.youtube.com]
February 12, 2017 03:59AM
Got the front plate and bezel for the Wifi board on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 04:16AM by RodF.
February 12, 2017 11:11PM
Nearly finished the enclosure. Just need the hinges and latch on the door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 11:16PM by RodF.
February 13, 2017 12:04AM
Noice!

Will you be adding an enclosure heater?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 12:04AM by the_digital_dentist.

February 13, 2017 01:50PM
the_digital_dentist
Noice!

Will you be adding an enclosure heater?
Yes that would be nice. I haven't seen any setups for a dedicated enclosure heater so I have made no provision for one. At this stage I was hoping the bed heater would do the trick. I have some colour controllable LED strip which I would like to use as temperature indicator and lighting. An air circulating fan seems like a good idea too. I do have an enclosure (wardrobe) heater that has a fixed cutoff at 65degrees C which is for curing my composite projects but it is way too clunky.
My other machine has no heater and prints ABS nicely but I want to do ABS PC on this new machine so would like to have a properly controlled environment.
February 13, 2017 05:12PM
RepRapFirmware supports a chamber heater (see the M141 command), so if you are not using the second extruder heater output on the Duet WiFi then you could use it and the associated thermistor channel it to drive a chamber heater via a SSR. If you are using dual extrusion, you could use one of the heater and thermistor channels on the expansion connector instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 05:12PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 13, 2017 07:12PM
Looks like one of these would do the trick.

February 13, 2017 08:52PM
You can probably find something similar to those in a coffee maker that you can buy at a local thrift shop for $1-5. They usually has thermal cutouts attached for safety, so you won't even have to worry about it starting a fire if something goes wrong.

February 13, 2017 11:35PM
Got the door hinged latched and sealed. I will probably order a U shaped heater of 800W. Don't want much more than that as the bed heater is 750W. I will probably duct it and run a fan.

February 20, 2017 03:48PM
I have been working at tuning the machine. I have decided to get it printing with ABS Polycarbonate (from E3D). 280C nozzle 135C bed, it is over-extruding in spite of carefully calibrating the extruder. The prints are sticking to the printbite really well and the over-extruding is at least filling the print solidly. The parts are slightly flexible and incredibly tough. The heated bed is heating up the chamber well and I don't think I need a chamber heater (have ordered some though). The pancake extruder motor is running pretty hot at 90% power so I will reduce that down to 80% and see how it performs.

Here is another video. (BTW the loud noise is my compressor running in the background)

[www.youtube.com]
March 09, 2017 12:44PM
Very impressive build. How are you liking the PrintBite surface? It seems to be working well on that ABS Polycarbonate, did you have to do any prep?
March 10, 2017 01:56PM
Kewtdz
Very impressive build. How are you liking the PrintBite surface? It seems to be working well on that ABS Polycarbonate, did you have to do any prep?

Cheers, the machine is running nicely now but I wish I had more time to explore Duetwifi. The ABS poly carbonate is sticking to the printbite really well with no prep required. I started with 135C bed temperature but have been able to reduce it to 120C. The Polycarbonate pops off the bed at about 70C. I found the pancake extruder motor was getting very hot with the enclosure becoming so warm and its current at .9 amp so I've reduced it to .75 amp and got a couple more motors for spareseye rolling smiley
I've got some nylon and carbonyte coming from Rigid.ink so will see how that goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 02:14PM by RodF.
March 11, 2017 02:45PM
I have got the machine at work now. However it's in a steel container and Wifi is an issue. So I have ordered a PanelDue for it not sure where it will get mounted yet. While I wait for that, I am going to upgrade my cartesian machine with a Smoothie board I had originally planned to put in the corexyz.
March 12, 2017 01:31AM
Regarding the WiFi issue: Aren't there modules that allow remote antennas?
I have a RADDS inside the enclosure and the RasPi3 with onboard WiFi is outside the enclosure, connected by USB.
March 12, 2017 03:43AM
o_lampe
Regarding the WiFi issue: Aren't there modules that allow remote antennas?

There is the ESP08 module which has the same footprint as the ESP12F that we use on the Duet WiFi. We built a few prototype Duet WiFi boards using that module. But it's not FCC and CE certified, which is one reason why we don't offer it as an option. The other reason is that it needs to have it's flash memory upgraded to accommodate the firmware and DWC, although that won't be necessary after I have finished reworking the WiFi code.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 12, 2017 06:16AM
I really like the WiFi interface, but at work it is an issue with range and security (dealing with the IT dept.) So I am interested to see how the PanelDue works out.
March 12, 2017 06:28AM
RodF
I really like the WiFi interface, but at work it is an issue with range and security (dealing with the IT dept.) So I am interested to see how the PanelDue works out.

In situations where WiFi isn't ideal, you will soon have the choice of using the Duet Ethernet instead of Duet WiFi.

April 16, 2017 05:30PM
I have installed the Panel Due. It was plug and playthumbs up. I had some difficulty printing the large enclosure for it in ABS with the .8mm volcano nozzle. Thanks to Azerate over on Soliforum for slicer settings I ended up with a good result.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2017 05:33PM by RodF.
February 10, 2018 06:19PM
How is this printer working still? What a great build!
January 29, 2019 06:56AM
I have same question spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I can see you dialed axis as much as you could, but final result seems not accurate enough for printing without auto bed leveling sensor. Am I right?
January 30, 2019 06:14AM
Oh I just realized that last RodFs post was almost 2 years ago smiling bouncing smiley

Anyway, i didn't want to be rude, I really like your design, and I am planing to build something like that. I was thinking about almost the same dimensions (maybe smaller Z travel - 300 mm), but I would definitely go for sensorless build.
I hope your machine is still running and I wish you many successful prints with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login