Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FB2020 CoreXY

Posted by Ax 
Re: FB2020 CoreXY
June 13, 2016 03:22PM
I have to read more into this Github thing. I have the files but I cannot for the life of me get them added.
I can just send you a link to my dropbox where they are. Might be faster than me figuring it all out.
Ax
June 13, 2016 03:30PM
Floyd
I have to read more into this Github thing. I have the files but I cannot for the life of me get them added.
I can just send you a link to my dropbox where they are. Might be faster than me figuring it all out.

Sure. You should have direct push access to the repo, though, if you want me to walk you through it I'm happy to, just drop me a message either way smiling smiley
Ax
July 21, 2016 08:49PM
OK, so, it's been a while. I've not really had much time to work on things. I'm looking at winding down this printer design in favour of the AX-01. There's only so much I can do without totally redesigning things so, I'm going to leave it where it is with one further modification to the extruder carriage. I detest having to remove the hot end on this bot, so, I'm going to make it a magnetic coupling with 8 (4 on each face) 10mm x 5mm N42 Neodymium (Rare Earth) Magnets. These have a 3KG pull each so, it'll take around 12KGs of force to move it. Overkill, but it'll make sure things stay put.
Ax
January 06, 2017 11:32AM
Well, it seems I'm not quite done with the design, I've just recently built a 3rd FB2020 and got fed up with the Y axis rod holders. I've since totally re-designed them to allow easy parallel alignment with no twisting as they butt right up against the corner brackets. It does need 340mm rods over 300mm rods, but it makes the Y axis a lot more rigid due to the way the rods are held.
January 07, 2017 02:52PM
Ax
Well, it seems I'm not quite done with the design, I've just recently built a 3rd FB2020 and got fed up with the Y axis rod holders. I've since totally re-designed them to allow easy parallel alignment with no twisting as they butt right up against the corner brackets. It does need 340mm rods over 300mm rods, but it makes the Y axis a lot more rigid due to the way the rods are held.

Thank you! I was planning to do the same, because i didn't want to cut my rods to 300mm. Installing longer rods with old holders was interesting angry smiley
Now all we need is better carriage smiling smiley

My FB2020 has 200x320 alu bed with silicone heater, so if anybody is planning to do the same you can build your bed like this:
https://m66i.imgup.net/IMG_0112bd92.JPG
https://l61i.imgup.net/IMG_0114626e.JPG

No printed parts, 12mm smooth rods with 4xsc12uu attached to L profile, it's very solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 02:53PM by ivo95.
January 23, 2017 04:14PM
Do you know anywhere I can buy one set of printed parts for the FB2020 plus using the latest BoM?
Ax
January 23, 2017 06:22PM
markshur
Do you know anywhere I can buy one set of printed parts for the FB2020 plus using the latest BoM?

It's funny you should ask that, I'm just setting up something now where you can buy the parts from me. PM me and I can sort you out.
February 11, 2017 12:00AM
Hello everyone, I am about ready to start building a corexy and I am pretty settled on the FB2020. I have looked at thingiverse, git hub and read some here but I have a question.

On the Y rod holders, and I am assuming the Y axis is the front to back movement, with one rod on the top left and one on top right. In this picture from the github build log, the Y rod hold is orange, it is between the Z rod holder and the motor. It looks like a simple hole for the rod and secures to the extrusion with a screw and extrusion nut. But here is my lack of understanding. The parts (stls) from github, show a part 2_y_Rod_Holder_Right.stl and this part does NOT look like what I see in the picture. Did I miss something. Are there new rod holders that are not on github?

Pic from build log on github

pic of 2_y_rod_holder_right from github rendered in cura

Also, I want to build this larger with a 200x300 bed. Besides changing rod lengths, extrusion lengths, longer belts and config setting for machine size, would there be any other changes I would need to consider? I would like to take the Z to 375 or 400 as well. Any issues with the longer belts?

Also, has anyone redesigned the motor mounts to have the motor body inside the frame rather than sticking out?

Thanks again
Ax
February 11, 2017 05:29AM
n9jcv
Hello everyone, I am about ready to start building a corexy and I am pretty settled on the FB2020. I have looked at thingiverse, git hub and read some here but I have a question.

On the Y rod holders, and I am assuming the Y axis is the front to back movement, with one rod on the top left and one on top right. In this picture from the github build log, the Y rod hold is orange, it is between the Z rod holder and the motor. It looks like a simple hole for the rod and secures to the extrusion with a screw and extrusion nut. But here is my lack of understanding. The parts (stls) from github, show a part 2_y_Rod_Holder_Right.stl and this part does NOT look like what I see in the picture. Did I miss something. Are there new rod holders that are not on github?

Pic from build log on github

pic of 2_y_rod_holder_right from github rendered in cura

Also, I want to build this larger with a 200x300 bed. Besides changing rod lengths, extrusion lengths, longer belts and config setting for machine size, would there be any other changes I would need to consider? I would like to take the Z to 375 or 400 as well. Any issues with the longer belts?

Also, has anyone redesigned the motor mounts to have the motor body inside the frame rather than sticking out?

Thanks again

The Y Rod Holders changed recently, and I've not updated the images on the build guide. The reason for this is that they are easier to fit and do not require any measuring to make them parallel. It does mean the use of 340mm rods on Y but it's a small trade off for a quicker build. The right ones are for the right hand side as you look at it, the left for the left. You also have a Y endstop mount which is adjustable along the rod which makes it so you can always make positive contact on the Y endstop.

Expanding the machine is easy for the XY stage you've pretty much got all of it covered. For Z it's a little more on the complicated side as the braces will need to be a lot longer and the frame won't be as rigid, check the FB2020+ BOM on github for an example, personally, I wouldn't go much more than the 275 of the FB2020 plus as it's not really needed unless you're doing huge stuff.

As for flipping the motors, not really possible with this design, I've tried it but it fouls the Y carriage, the whole design is too tight to make huge changes like that, I have looked at that too.
February 11, 2017 11:10AM
Thanks Ax. So why does the y rod holder have 2 8mm holes i understand the one and the 2 bolts to clamp but what is the purpose of the other hole?

Also I am thinking of supporting the front of the bed with a center smooth rod. Has anyone tried that?
Ax
February 11, 2017 11:26AM
Ah, ones for the rod, the other is to allow for the use of the recommended flanged button head bolts to go up into the mounting hole.

Supporting the front of the bed isn't needed when using 12mm smooth rods on a cantilever bed. It's rigid enough, plus I think you'll find it a pain to fit that in unless you totally overhaul the design, it scales well as is, but adding in extras like that will require a lot of work. I'm not trying to put you off doing so, just giving you warning that it will be more difficult than you think.

As a heads up, I use the FB2020 commercially and have 3 of them. Not once have I had an issue with Z wobble, even on the FB2020+. When I design something I go overkill within the budget I have. Between the 3 printers, these have run a good 10,000 hours, the design is tried and trusted. I make a small tweak here and there, such as the Y Rod Mounts, when I find a better way of doing so, but tweaks like that are few and far between.
February 11, 2017 11:28AM

what is the purpose of the other hole?

Maybe the z-smooth rod goes there?
Ax
February 11, 2017 11:29AM
o_lampe

what is the purpose of the other hole?

Maybe the z-smooth rod goes there?

See my post above winking smiley
February 11, 2017 09:07PM
Can anyone tell me how much distance there is between the top front 2020 and where the belts cross near the center of that extrusion?

Also is home 0,0,0 top, front right?

Also if I leave the belts as is but make the cube wider but do not mount the right side in the corner but 2/3 of the way from the left would the corexy still function properly?

Thanks
Ax
February 12, 2017 05:04AM
n9jcv
Can anyone tell me how much distance there is between the top front 2020 and where the belts cross near the center of that extrusion?

Also is home 0,0,0 top, front right?

Also if I leave the belts as is but make the cube wider but do not mount the right side in the corner but 2/3 of the way from the left would the corexy still function properly?

Thanks

The belts don't cross on this machine, that is why I liked the Fusebox which this is based off of, but only 2 models remain from the original build.

Home is where you want it to be as if you're making the frame bigger, you'll need to configure the firmware. As standard, though it's 0,200,0.

I'm assuming you're meaning moving the motor, it will but you will need extra idlers.
February 23, 2017 09:48PM
Ax, one more question, the y carrier left and right, they have a 5mm hole for the bolt to hold the bearings, but there is no nut on the bottom, but the hole appears to be roughly 1/3 filled at the bottom. Is the idea that the bolt will thread into that plastic to stay in place?

Thanks
b
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login