Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My coreXY design is progressing to the build stage

Re: My coreXY design is progressing to the build stage
October 31, 2017 12:06PM
Neat looking fan.
October 31, 2017 01:34PM
I suspect it's the motor or driver that doesn't like the heat.

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 31, 2017 02:31PM
Is there something keeping the 500W heater from melting/whatever if your blower fan has an issue? This thing looks to small to keep its temperature down by convection alone and i cant see a thermistor on it...
October 31, 2017 03:35PM
It doesn't have it yet, but it's going to have a TCO to kill power to the heater if the fan fails. That heater is rated up to 600C, so it won't self destruct, but if the fan isn't running the air doesn't circulate and the heat will accumulate at the top of the printer and probably cause all sorts of problems.

November 02, 2017 06:31PM
On a slightly different subject, I recently pulled a CPAP machine from the hack-rack at the makerspace. I disassembled it and pulled the blower out of it. It's about 90mm in diameter, and has a 20k rpm (max), 3 phase BLDC motor. I also recently had some PCBs made for the MCP8063 3 phase BLDC motor driver chip with PWM input. I'll be testing the blower as a print cooling fan in UMMD once I get a couple of the PCBs assembled.

The blower is sort of interesting- it has a nearly flat impeller that takes air in at it's center and flings it out along its periphery. It's in an enclosure that directs all that air flow out a single, round port that a CPAP hose fits over. The hose is very flexible and light weight, so the plan is to mount the blower on top of the printer and run the hose to the extruder carriage with a nozzle to blow on the print.

November 04, 2017 07:54PM
Turtle blower

Patient respiration -- important --- blower plus driver electronics

Has to be very quiet, and secondly it has to respond dynamically and positively to the patient’s respiration requirements.
Its air flow and pressure must be continually adapted to the patient’s own breathing. The blower drive must therefore be able to adjust its speed with extreme flexibility. The development engineers at ebm-papst designed the blower to be suitably dynamic for a maximum operating point at which a pressure variation of four to 20 millibars is possible within the space of 200 milliseconds.

They are finding their way into micro LED / DLP projectors
and laptop coolers

Mystery impeller?

Super dynamic polymer cooler --- but what sensor?

Hey with UMMD on CPAP maybe it can get handicap parking spot!

confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login