Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap-XY Iteration 2

Posted by stratmaster458 
RepRap-XY Iteration 2
November 21, 2015 05:27PM
Hello, I'd like to share my variant of Zelogik/Jand's CoreXY printer, specifically my variant of Jand's printable version the RepRap-XY. I have to say its a really cool design, ever since seeing it I wanted to roll my own. I call my version Iteration 2 since its very similar but incorporates a few changes and upgrades that make it different enough to be its own design I think. In the future I see myself redesigning a lot of the parts to make it a more true iteration 2. Anyways I have been working mostly in FreeCAD using Jand's assembly, my version started as a fork of Jand's github repo and I merely copied and edited Jand's assembly. For modeling new parts I have been using OnShape since its free and I have a Solidworks background, i am able to export files as STEP and import them into FreeCAD for assembly. Here is what I've been working on So far:

General Specifications
- Printer Size 400mm X 400mm X 500mm (increase of 100mm over Jand's version)
- Build Volume 220mm X 230mm X 330mm (approximation not exact yet)
- E3D V6 Hotend
- CoreXY Positioning
- Cantilever Z-stage w/ single screw
- GT2 Belt/Puley Drive

Modifications/Upgrades
- X/Y Axis bearings changed to Brass/Graphite Bushings 8x12x30
- LM12UUL on Z Axis
- Sdavi's XY Blocks modified for Brass bushings
- Custom inner corner brackets for bottom corners
- Custom spacer/corner bracket for motor/idler boxes (keeps belts aligned with Sdavi's XY Blocks)
- Lower 360mm extrusion cross-members removed to lower cost.

Github Source:
[github.com]
released as the same license as Jand's variant as it is essentially a fork of that version. Also many thanks to Zelogik, Jand, and sdavi for all their work developing this pritner and its variants!

I want to get as much feedback as I can on the CAD design. Anyone should be able to clone the github and open it with FreeCAD. Just trying to see if there are any bad mistakes design wise up front before I start printing parts and cutting extrusion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2015 05:33PM by stratmaster458.
Re: RepRap-XY Iteration 2
November 23, 2015 12:29PM
That Z axis - It looks like you are only using a single linear bearing on each side to support it?

(did not open the CAD model)
Re: RepRap-XY Iteration 2
November 23, 2015 06:04PM
LarsK
That Z axis - It looks like you are only using a single linear bearing on each side to support it?

(did not open the CAD model)

For the Z Axis I plan on using LM12LUU 12mm linear bearings, one per rod. They are in the latest model, that I just pushed to the github repository now. I think the bearings should be adequate though if not I'd like to hear why. the original design called for two LM12UU's per side but these are the standard shorter version of the bearing, I was taking inspiration from the Ultimaker and using longer versions of the bearings instead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login