Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

XY axis not moving

Posted by Jaran 
XY axis not moving
September 14, 2017 03:52PM
Hello there! I am currently building a HyperCube Evolution. So far I have all the mechanical parts done, aswell as most of the electronics.

Im having issues getting the XY axis working. The Z axis works as intended. While trying to move the XY axis with any software it does not do anything at all. No sound of the motors going or anything. I have meassured the voltage on the motor drivers, aswell as swapping out the motor driver with another one. I also swapped the motor cable for the Z axis over to the X axis to see if it actually moved which it did. Is this firmware related or could my ramps board be defect? I have tried both marlin and repetier with the same issue.

I have not connected the headtbed and its thermostat so the printer goes into "Dry mode" upon startup, but im sure this should not block the XY axis from moving?

Im currently using repetier as firmware.

Thanks for any help!

Edit: Seems like it is an issue with the endstops. They are always triggered wether it is anything between it or not. Would this be defective endstops or a firmware issue? confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2017 04:13PM by Jaran.
Re: XY axis not moving
September 14, 2017 05:53PM
What kind of end stop switches are you using? They have to be wired correctly...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 15, 2017 01:31AM
The earlier versions of Marlin wouldn't run without a ( dummy- ) thermistor installed.

When the endstops are always triggered, you can try to invert the signal in firmware or disable the pullup resistor
Newer versions of Marlin might look different, but it's somewhere out there...

// coarse Endstop Settings
#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
September 15, 2017 01:58AM
Im using eletronic sensors, optical. [www.ebay.com]

I removed the heatbed from the firmware and sat the extruder thermostat to fake 25c. So no errors under startup but the XY axis does not move. I removed all endstops and checked the states of the endstops. Without them plugged in xy min and max came out as L, but with them connected they say H.

I have also connected the endstops in several ways without any diffrence.

Edit: Looks like I had wired the optical endstops wrong. They are working now, but the XY axis is still not moving. The optical endstops got a red light on at all time and goes off when triggered. Tried to invert them too, without noticing any diffrence.

Edit: Took apart all the stepper motors. Looked like one of them did not get connected all the way. While meassuring the drivers for the X and Y axis they both came out with 4,7 and did not change with the screw on top. After taking it all apart and making sure everything sat correctly it now works.

While it somehow works, the XY axis does not bother about the endstops. Even though it hits the endstop the stepper motors keeps on going. Any ideas?

And last edit: Looks like I got everything working now. Im used to mechanical endstops and thought the endstops would prevent the motors from running while it was triggered, which it dont. Anyways, thanks for all help!

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2017 11:10AM by Jaran.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login